45 years old Marantz 7T upgrade, does it really matter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello folks, my 7T is with 45 y.o.
I would like to ask if it's really necessary to make some upgrade, all the parts are stock.
I would like to change only components at the high-level, power supply and tone concrol board (bass) treble I do not use.
I wanna do just a basic recap upgrade.
Also I do not use the low level section.
What should I change?

cheers!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lbuob1atyk84nil/Captura de Tela 2015-09-10 às 15.09.14.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/io67cdum74oiwbq/Captura de Tela 2015-09-10 às 15.02.03.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/swlis2643dm5wi0/Captura de Tela 2015-09-10 às 15.01.40.png?dl=0

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
I personally don't believe in modding everything I own. The Marantz 7 T has the same steely sound of the transistors of that day. What counts is the speakers are you using. Most cheaper speakers are not that detailed and it won't make much difference. The 7T is stiil a very pretty, well made unit that will serve you well, and being as you don't use the phono section the mods would be less important. There are many better sounding pieces around that will serve your purpose for not too much money, as you improve your system. Good Luck on your quest!

Joined 2011
I would like to change only components at the high-level, power supply and tone concrol board (bass) treble I do not use. I wanna do just a basic recap upgrade.

Replace all the carbon comp resistors first, then the electrolytic caps, of the circuitry that you use.
This includes the power supply. Clean the controls that you use, and that should be enough.

Last edited:
Recap And resresistor the Pore OLs thing :)
Did Same to My Fender Bassman a while back.
Result was it was Completely different sounding to what I had Become accustomed to.
Brighter , cleaner, More precise.. Just like when it left the Fender Factory.
Fair assumption that your Machine sounds Nothing like what it was designed to.

I'm thinking about bypass the tone controls but does these will increase the gain? How can I do it?
Also, as I will nor use mic or tape head, I thought about hard wire the RIAA feedback components to the RIAA board (MOER suggestion).
The center channel and the headphone I think it interferes also at the signal, so I think will remove too.
The tape output is also desnecessary. I just wanna make the audio signal path the most simple.

http://www.acousticpsychos.com/Files/Marantz/Marantz_7T_Aug_1966.jpg

Marantz_7T_Aug_1966.jpg

Last edited:
I am not trying to be funny, but with your level of knowledge do not change anything. If it is working, carefully clean it up on the outside, and plug in whatever amplifier you have. Put it on a shelf and impress your friends that you have one of Saul Marantz's wonderful early pieces. Anything you do will degrade whatever good sound that you have now. When you learn what is going inside this unit, then you can chop it up!

Does it really matter?
If modding it will improve the sound ( it will ) then the value to others will go down
More people would be interested in a untouched version because thats what they were drawn to and remember the most of that nostalgia piece.
Altering for personal reasons chops that segment down considerably

Regards
David

I am not trying to be funny, but with your level of knowledge do not change anything. If it is working, carefully clean it up on the outside, and plug in whatever amplifier you have. Put it on a shelf and impress your friends that you have one of Saul Marantz's wonderful early pieces. Anything you do will degrade whatever good sound that you have now. When you learn what is going inside this unit, then you can chop it up!

Hi Freddy, yes, you are absolutely right.
Can you recommend some literature to start?

Cheers

How old are you? What is your educational background? Is this just a hobby? If you enjoy music and are trying to put together an inexpensive system, great! You said that you don't need a phono system, so your sources are CD, Tape, FM, or Satellite?
There are many others here that are better equipped to point you in the direction of your education than I. I have owned a lot of the best Marantz Equipment, to me it was the finest of that day. I didn't want to see a unit destroyed needlessly.

Joined 2011
Last edited:
How old are you? What is your educational background? Is this just a hobby? If you enjoy music and are trying to put together an inexpensive system, great! You said that you don't need a phono system, so your sources are CD, Tape, FM, or Satellite?
There are many others here that are better equipped to point you in the direction of your education than I. I have owned a lot of the best Marantz Equipment, to me it was the finest of that day. I didn't want to see a unit destroyed needlessly.

Hi Fred, I'm 41, I only have basic knowledge, this is just a hobby, I am a musician. I just ordered a book called Audio Cyclopedia from Howard M. Tremaine, I think it will give me a better understanding.

If the Chinese can steal the plans for an F35 stealth fighter, and build it and make it fly. What makes you think they couldn't better a 1960's Marantz preamp. From the look of it, it is nicely constructed with what looks like quality components. I do not know where you could get it fixed, or even get the correct schematic. It isn't too much money, but shipping will kill you!!!! What amp and speakers do you have.
For whatever it is worth I have Dave Brubeck in my sound room every day at 3:00pm
and I don't have a lot of money in my system.... It can be done! I just wish that I knew what I know now at 71 when I was 41. Good Luck on your quest! Use your own brain and ears, and you will do just fine. There are a lot of good people here that are willing to take their personal time to help you!

Last edited:
What amp and speakers do you have.

Hi Freddy, for my happiness I have finally the system I allways dreamed for. My speaker is a JBL L300 with the Nelson Pass crossover modification. Here is my thread on audioheritage forum

L300 Summit with Nelson Pass crossover mod and First Watt J2 Amp

It is bi-amped with a Harman Kardon Citation II tube amp with genalex gold lion KT88 (mid and high) and a Crown xli-1500 (330W/ch 8ohms) at the bass.

I'm a vinyl fan, I use an old Lenco L75 with a DIY wood base, reba RB700 and SME 3009 tonearms, Denon DL-103R MC and AT150-MLX MM cartridges.

It's absolutely amazing.

For whatever it is worth I have Dave Brubeck in my sound room every day at 3:00pm

I love Brubeck, and this is the best hour to listen music, but not too good for the neighboors, specially if you play on a JBL :spin:

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.