Finishing Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2015, 11:05 PM   #1
Ripcord is offline Ripcord  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Finishing Amp

I'd like to get opinions on the bits and pieces required to finish up a solid state power amp. Take, for example, a simple circuit like the one posted. Obviously it needs a power supply, heatsink, a case, connectors, knobs. What about things that aren't so obvious. Does it need fuses? And where? Input, rails, speaker. What about DC protection? Speaker protection? Softstart? I'm not asking what this particular amp circuit needs but rather what do you guys think are some of the more important add-ons to turn a simple circuit in to a useable, safe amp.

P.S. Please move if it should go in the construction thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BD amp..JPG (46.0 KB, 153 views)
Old 8th September 2015, 03:59 AM   #2
gannaji is offline gannaji  India
diyAudio Member

subscribed!
Old 8th September 2015, 04:12 AM   #3
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
Does it need fuses? And where? Input, rails, speaker. What about DC protection? Speaker protection? Softstart?
what do you guys think are some of the more important add-ons to turn a simple circuit in to a useable, safe amp.
You definitely should have an AC line fuse. Most commercial amps also have rail fuses.
Since you have a direct coupled output, you may want a series relay that opens if DC is
present at the output, as when a fuse blows, to protect the speakers. There also should
be a resistor to ground before the input coupling capacitor to avoid pops, such as 100k.
New Soft Start & Speaker Turn-On Delay and DC Protector Boards (Set of 2 boards) - Power Supplies and Accessories - Circuit Boards

Last edited by rayma; 8th September 2015 at 04:15 AM.
Old 8th September 2015, 09:36 PM   #4
Ripcord is offline Ripcord  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks rayma. I thought a few of us might be interested in this info. There are so many simple circuits, ss and tube, on the diyaudio site, that just show the basics. I know I could learn more about making an amp safe and reliable.

Hide this!Advertise here!