Receiver outputs big noise with broken relay?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nad receiver had no sound. Guess it has about the bad relay ( because of no click sound anytime). Now I bent up the thin contact copper pieces inside relay, force them to close/touch together, this is just for testing the relay's working condition.

Yes, receiver works now, but big ripping noise intermittently comes out of both speakers, huge distortion with the tiny music sound.

Wonder if broken relays can cause this big noise? Thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Sounds like the relay was doing its job of protecting the speakers to me.

I think you will find that one (or both) channels has a large DC offset caused by a blown output stage. Manually closing the relay will put that voltage across the speaker... not good for the speaker :(

Relays never fail! I find it shocking how common it is for people to assume that the relay itself is at fault, when that has literally never been the case in the history of amplifiers. Yes, they can get dirty and intermittent, but never outright fail so that they can no longer engage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.