Convert Krell 300iL to European voltage - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2004, 05:09 PM   #21
hifi is offline hifi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Sweden use 230V/50Hz !!

Cant you get in touch with somebody in england with such an amp, to verify the settings?

/ Micke
Old 26th February 2004, 05:22 PM   #22
K-amps is offline K-amps  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sreten

Either way 50 / 60Hz is not part of the equation.

While I agree with Streten on all he says, there is a slight chance that there is some microprocessor that uses the 50Hz and 60Hz as reference... far fetched yes but quite possible ....

Old 26th February 2004, 05:28 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Thanks all for the help, I really appreciate it - when I get the voltmeter i'll get back to you all with the findings...

With regards the swedish amp - the pic can be found here: http://www.referenceaudio.se/ImageUp...ll300ILINN.jpg You can see that the switches are set as SW1=2, SW2=1, SW3=1.

I thought when I first saw this pic I had found the solution but then I stumbled across this link: http://www.escapeartist.com/cgi-bin/...country=Sweden
Old 26th February 2004, 05:31 PM   #24
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by K-amps

It seems that the toroid has dual primaries. These are the blue-grey-purple and red-black-brown wires. The secondaries seem to be the 2 yellow and two orange wires going to the main PCB. The voltages of the yellow/orange wires should be the same before and after the switch (not half and not double).

The extreme yellow and orange coulde be the main Taps and the inner two could form the gnd or center tap.

If there are no other transformers (like the standby power types) all you'd need to do is to remove the 2 yellow and 2 orange wires (This isolates the amplifier from high voltages that may happen during your experimentation) and then try and play with the switches and measure voltages on the yellow / orange combo.

Basically for each yellow/orange combinition, you should have about 50 to 60 volts AC across them . The two combos should be identical in voltage. i.e. yellow to orange would be 50-60vac for both pairs. By the same token, each yellow (or orange) to GND/Earth should be 50 to 60 vac in case of the outer two cables.

If you were to label the cables (orange/yellow) as Y1 Y2 O1 O2 (left to right based on your picture) then you'd get 50-60 vac across Y1 and O1. Ans the same 50 to 60 vac across Y2 and O2. Zero volts across Y1 and Y2 and Zero across O1 and O2. You'd also get 100-120 vac across Y1 and O2.

Not sure if this helps...
Do not do this under any circumstances.

Use the primary resistance measuring technique.

The main feeds are the white and blue pairs under the top board,
and there is a feed to a regulator I presume on the bottom right.

sreten.
Old 26th February 2004, 05:37 PM   #25
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by K-amps

While I agree with Streten on all he says, there is a slight chance that there is some microprocessor that uses the 50Hz and 60Hz as reference... far fetched yes but quite possible ....

Far fetched yes, but still not related to the 3 switch settings.

sreten.
Old 26th February 2004, 05:38 PM   #26
K-amps is offline K-amps  United States
diyAudio Member

Right I missed the blue/white wires below the main board... i edited my post so that it is not used.

Old 26th February 2004, 05:46 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I found the microprocessor the guy from Absolute Sounds was talking about - at the bottom right on the inside of the fascia is a small chip (looks a bit like a computer CPU) - but it has a label on it saying V1.15 50/60 hz. So the guy WAS lying from absolute sounds....
Old 26th February 2004, 06:08 PM   #28
hifi is offline hifi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

http://www.escapeartist.com/cgi-bin/...country=Sweden

Well they must be wrong..I have never heard of any region of sweden ever using 110V

The only thing I can think of is that several years ago there used to be 110V outlets in bathroms for shaving gear...but thats not customary anymore.

The picture however could have been supplied by Krell themself and or borrowed from somewhere.

/ Micke
Old 26th February 2004, 10:09 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Krell AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally posted by Elso Kwak

Hi Audiofanatic,
A servicemanual for a Krill? You must be kidding. Krill isn't that food for wails? Pearls for the swines, throwing to the wolves.....

Hi Elso, I hope that you will not change your avatar, so everyone can see how you look like

Regarding Krill, my spelling is wobbly, thats why I spel it like that, I actualy wanted to write KILL

Best regards,

Audiofanatic
Old 27th February 2004, 06:35 AM   #30
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Wink Re: Re: Re: Krell AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally posted by Audiofanatic

Hi Elso, I hope that you will not change your avatar, so everyone can see how you look like

Regarding Krill, my spelling is wobbly, thats why I spel it like that, I actualy wanted to write KILL

Best regards,

Audiofanatic
Hi Audiofanatic,
KILL??? Changing my avatar?? Why should I do that? You want to see my face? You would be disappointed! I feel great this way!

Hide this!Advertise here!