Convert Krell 300iL to European voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Jampivot:

Do you known someone has the program of kav-400xi because i follow the circuit for test pins and maybe now is corrupted , the amplifier only look red led and no show FER and when connect the oscillator only lock the red led, i think destroy the program

By the way
There is the difference in wave form

Attachments

• wave.jpg
    wave.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 537
Dear Jampivot:

Yes, when the circuit is not coneted the red led go on, and when connected the red led go on too, but before when the circuit is not connected the red led go on and the display show FER, and when the circuit was connected the led go on and the display show --- blink and the amp power on/off/on/off every 20 seconds aprox. Now in every situation only the red led go on and nothing else. I think something happen with the microchip when i test for graph the circuit and test the real form of signal input in pin 31.

Regards

I have come to realise that this bugfix is a bit hard to perform for people who are not that much into electronics. It is also a bit time consuming for me to try to help people remotely.

I've therefore decided that I will help people repair their microcontroller for a small fee. You will need to extract it with the appropriate tool as shown earlier in this thread, and post it to me. I will then send it back when it has been repaired for the 60Hz bug. Note that this will void any warranty you might hold on the amplifier.

If you need this service, send me a PM and I'll reply with the details.

Reactions: 1 user
iampivot said:
If you need this service, send me a PM and I'll reply with the details. [/B]

Hi iampivot, thanks for your time offering to help. I have a Krell KRC-3 which has a MC68HC711E9 with a sticker v1.06 / 60Hz...

I would like to talk to you about the possibilities of the 60Hz "bug removal", but I'm unable to email / pm you since it seems to be disabled on your part. Please pm/email me when you have the time.

Best regards!

khayman said:

Hi iampivot, thanks for your time offering to help. I have a Krell KRC-3 which has a MC68HC711E9 with a sticker v1.06 / 60Hz...

It depends on if the microcontroller has a PLCC or DIL packaging. The KRC-3 might have the latter, and in that case, I don't have the necessary development board to interface with it.

See the difference here: PLCC and DIP.

I would like to talk to you about the possibilities of the 60Hz "bug removal", but I'm unable to email / pm you since it seems to be disabled on your part.

That's weird, I have PM enabled.

iampivot said:

It depends on if the microcontroller has a PLCC or DIL packaging. The KRC-3 might have the latter, and in that case, I don't have the necessary development board to interface with it.

Hi,

In my KRC-3 it's a PLCC packaged MC68HC711E9CFN2.

That's weird, I have PM enabled.

Strange, I don't see the even the "email" button under your message, nor any way to message you even after clicking on your profile. Can you message me ?

Best regards,

I have a Krell Showcase Processor 120V/60Hz version which I want to work here in Norway on 230V/50Hz.

It's got the 60 Hz bug, since I get the failure message "AC line error" when I try to turn it on, connected to a 230/115V step down transformator.

Is this one also possible to fix to work on 230/50?

The trafo has this on it:

Input Ac 0-100V-120V 0-100V-120V
BLK-BRN-RED BLE-GRY-VIO
Output AC 7V 1,65A YEL
22V 1A BLK
22V 0,65A WHI

Pictures from the AC inlet and towards the transformator:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's this microcontroller: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freescale_68HC16 .

It is probably possible to take out the board that the MC is assembled on and bootstrap the MC in 'development' mode with a host computer, allowing the code on it to be disassembled and possibly modified as I did with the 300iL, but I can't really offer much help on how. If you really want to do this, I'd suggest reading up on the MC and looking into how it is programmed. Find a mailing list for development issues related to this MC and ask questions there.

I don't they changed the MC part in order to make the mains frequency probing program any safer, it's probably just because the 68HC11 is being deprecated, and more expensive to source.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
was it this Krell thread or another that suggested finding the frequency pin in the PIC and injecting a clock signal in there to kid the chip on it was receiving the correct mains signal?

What was the outcome of that idea?

Some has done this with success. You can build a simple circuit with eg a 555 chip which produces 60Hz. It might turn wrong though, another member which I've been in touch with tried this and made his amp useless for a few months because he unknowingly damaged a diode.

I think the 68HC16 should be equally simple to reprogram though, once you've figured out how to put it in development mode attached to a computer. It might even be that a cable like this one; http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=76&CFID=1386598&CFTOKEN=21051172 can be used to plug directly into the MC board on the Krell Showcase. But it's hard to know without experimenting, and there's always a little risk in experimenting, and you need a bit of patience..

iampivot - did you use a brand new 68HC711E9 chip for programming or did you reprogram the old one ?

From what I learned from Frescale 68HC711E9 datasheet, addresses you are talking about, i.e. over $D000, belong to the chip PROM, which can be only written once (and that was done by Krell when they uploaded their software).

[As opposed to the chip EEPROM (electronic erasable PROM), which can be erased many times, but that is located between $B600 - $B7FF.]

Elberoth said:
iampivot - did you use a brand new 68HC711E9 chip for programming or did you reprogram the old one ?

From what I learned from Frescale 68HC711E9 datasheet, addresses you are talking about, i.e. over $D000, belong to the chip PROM, which can be only written once (and that was done by Krell when they uploaded their software).

[As opposed to the chip EEPROM (electronic erasable PROM), which can be erased many times, but that is located between $B600 - $B7FF.]

I use the original chip. The notion that a PROM can only be programmed once is slightly false. It can only have each bit _turned off_ once. It comes with all it's content set to all FFFFFFFF.. when it is new. So we can modify the content of PROM several times, as long as we only turn bits off. Luckily for us, all the bits we need to change on the 300iL are bits we need to turn off.

It's technically possible to create a new chip with the correct 50/60Hz program as well, but then that would be copyright infringement, thus I'm only "repairing" existing chips.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.