Any Parasound (HCA-1000A) Historians Out There? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 2nd September 2015, 02:26 AM   #1
curveto is offline curveto  United States
diyAudio Member
Default Any Parasound (HCA-1000A) Historians Out There?

I just bought a HCA-1000A (second hand, as it were) and am trying to figure out why the one I (now) have seems to differ from every other 1000A out there.

Mine has a manual with a 1996 copyright so methinks it may be an earlier unit. The hardware is 17.25" wide. It has "wings" but the wings are neither wide enough for rack mounting nor do they have holes in them (the wings stick out 1/2 beyond the chassis).

It has a ground lift switch on the back and a "CE" (European Cert) logo screened on the back panel. It also has different text (also screened on back panel) between the IEEE plug and 12v trigger block that makes me think it may actually have a 120-240v capable PSU (???). The power cable that came with it looks "factory" (pretty heavy gauge) but is an otherwise normal, US 110v cord.

Perhaps its a European unit? (I bought it in the states from a seller in the states but that doesn't mean to much for something this old).

It doesn't have a serial number sticker on it but it does have a squarish tandem barcode sticker who's value is 7 91084 20001 (Y2K?) and then 04103.

My curiosity also stems to the want (of mine) to get a second one and bi-amp them (driving a pair of vintage KEF Ref M3s and Snell E2s). I haven't come across any other HCA-1000A samples that have a ground lift switch. Should I care (if one unit has and the other doesn't have lift switching)?
Old 2nd September 2015, 03:44 AM   #2
FrankWW is online now FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member
Why don't you ask John Curl on the blowtorch thread.
Old 3rd September 2015, 01:23 AM   #3
curveto is offline curveto  United States
diyAudio Member
I figured it out. It's actually just the final flavor (or near final flavor). Made in/after 2002. The only confusing point in my rain (still) is how some HCA-1000As come with wider/drilled wings and others don't. Must have been a factory option of some sort.

Hide this!Advertise here!