20W No-Compromise Hi-End Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Welcome to the forum.
Chrisv1983 said:
Hi all, I'm a new member from Italy and I have a question.

I have a tube preamp and a 40W push-pull (BJT, AB class) amplifier (both DIYed).

I'd like to build a no-compromise Hi-End amplifier (I think 15-20W would be good), do you have any suggestions? (no kits to buy)

Thanks!
There are a few of his designs available in the Pass Labs forum. The Aleph, AlephX, and Zen amps are all Mr. Pass' designs which he allows us to use for DIY projects. Both the Aleph designs are taken right from the original schematics and the AlephX is what you might call the next generation of that design.

If your interested in the Pass designs I would suggest you start with the Pass Labs site and the Passdiy site . There is a lot of information there. Be sure to look through the Gallery at the Passdiy site. Than come back and go through some of the threads in the Pass Labs forum.

Have Fun,

I agree with Rodd,
an Aleph(X) can be the right choice.
I think that, unless you have very efficient speakers (>95 dB), 20 W can be quite few, better go for 30+ watts.

Beware that Pass designs (and derivatives...) are class A amplifiers :hot: :hot: and thus require big heatsinks and monster power supplies.

If you have 4 Ohm speakers you can go for a Aleph-X using 2*12V trafos (that will give you about 14.5-15V rails) and get about 40-50W depending on the bias setting.

Cheers

Andrea

PS Before deciding on a project have a look around, there's plenty of good stuff here...

You dont need to just stick to class A either, class B amps sound fabulous too:D

Look to some of Randy Slones designs, I think they sound brilliant and the general concencious here is that they do too.

These are class B designs so you get more grunt too, which is never a bad thing.

Hey Andy, I have 8 ohms, 89 dB speakers.
When you said 20W can be quite few, did you mean 20+20 or 10+10W ?
I meant 20+20, do you think that would be so low?
I don't need an extremely high power output, just need a scheme featuring outstanding sonic qualities (that's why I would prefer a Class A scheme).

Another question: what kind of (sonic) performance can I expect from the Aleph(X)?

Thanks

If the listening room isn't that big and you don't aim to high SPL 20+20 or 30+30W can suffice, otherwise I'd consider, if possible, a biamping using 15-20W class A for the highs and a higher powered class AB for the lows.

I have built a Aleph30 and, in the mid-highs, it was spectacular, even if it lacked some power in the lows.

The Aleph-X should give better bass while mantaining most of the Aleph qualities.

Cheers

Andrea

I have seen the AlephX schematic, but it needs a balanced input signal. This means I'd have to build another stage to convert the unbalanced signal from my preamp. I don't like this. What about the JLH 1996 (I just think I won't need more than 10+10 or 15+15w)? Or do you have any other suggestions not involving balanced input signal?

Thanks

The JLH1996 and JLH for ESL are also a viable solution, or maybe you can check Rod Elliot's site, he has a modified version of JLH ("Death of Zen") and a very interesting project, the P3A, that can be configured for both Class A and class AB operation. I've built it (mine is class AB, the class A version has been developed only recently) and it sounds very well.

If you need the PCBs Rod sells them at a very reasonable price.

Cheers

Andrea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.