Looking for a high-end DiY headphone SS amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do I simply look at the schematic and see what parts I need that way? There doesn't seem to be a parts list anywhere on the website for me to refer to.

One advantage of the board is that it seems to be very tiny, that's for sure. Wonder if one or two can be put into balanced mode while still accepting single-ended inputs?

Last edited:
IMHO, the only reason to go into such esoteric circuits, is if you are designing it yourself, and you like that aspect of the build.
For something you want to simply build, which has a very good sound, I would suggest The Wire.
It is tiny, cheap, and sounds wonderfully.

Rival, in terms of hype, or sound? For the latter, yes, I think so.
I am currently using a commercial portable amp which, though not The Wire, it is based on the same circuit (OPamp VAS with diamond buffer IC within the FB loop), and although I tried many SS others, I could not tell the difference.
But I cannot also tell the difference from a $1000 cable, from a 10$ one, so my hearing might be impaired :D

In terms of sound of course, not hype. I don't really care for hype but the side-product of it is that those are the two that most come up in google search functions. It's also the reason I posted here as I wanted to know the full range of options at the very top :) and it seems to be a lot simpler to make than the Per Anders offering!

What I am a little concerned with is how to get the boards and which ones do I need to get if I want both balanced and single-ended input and output.

Just send Sjostrom Audio and he will forward you the schematics and BOM. Keep in mind that the B22, Dynamite and QRV08 are all discrete, while the Wire is not. Buget for them are also vastly different. Someone must be out of their mind to call the B22,Dyamite or QRV08 'hype'.

Just send Sjostrom Audio and he will forward you the schematics and BOM. Keep in mind that the B22, Dynamite and QRV08 are all discrete, while the Wire is not. Buget for them are also vastly different. Someone must be out of their mind to call the B22,Dyamite or QRV08 'hype'.

They are hyped. Not that much compared to a lot of commercial offerings but when the B22 and dynamite especially are compared to other offerings in the DiY world, there's a big difference.

Last edited:
the Vswing can be a limitation if you think you need 5-10 Wrms into 50 Ohms, low sensitivity orthos

the B22 can't swing at all close to its rails despite its current output ability

typical op amp based amps would have to be bridged to get near the V

power dissipation, heat removal from even most unity buffer IC is beyond the project amps I've seen

I have done it but its not at all ready for others to try and access to a machine shop helped too:

6x TPA6120 dual op amps, rated 400 mA each op amp - parallel pairs biased against each other for Class A push-pull output (a little over 200 mA Class A bias for the headphone amp)

this is sized as a headphone amp so the outputs are cascaded for higher drive V (600 Ohm cans or the insanely low sensitivity AKG K1000)

TPA has exposed Cu power pad meant to be soldered to board for several W dissipation, by soldering "belly up" I contact them to the Cu slug of a pc cooler - running ~ 30 W quiescent total without fan

re arranging the I,V by flat paralleling you could get 2.4A, 15 V peak each channel for ~ 14 Wrms into 8 Ohms Class AB stereo

all up, both channels paralleled as a monoblock the shown components, heatsink should drive down to ~3 Ohms

190036d1285862501-doug-selfs-ne5532-power-amp-thoughts-anyone-stack.jpg

190037d1285862501-doug-selfs-ne5532-power-amp-thoughts-anyone-amp_front.jpg

190038d1285862501-doug-selfs-ne5532-power-amp-thoughts-anyone-amp_guts.jpg

suggestions....

maybe:

-f4 with reduced bias

-aca amp with reduced bias

-sewa amplifier(no gain) with irfp240 or other

DAO buffer (by EUVL)

I've have a beta22 and thought it was very good.

Right now i'm listening to a sewa with irfp240 and recduced bias and it sounds VERY transparent

Last edited:
I have a pair of Yamaha HP-1 Anisotropics:

Impedance: 150 ohms
Sensitivity: 96dB/mW
Rated input: 3w
Max input: 10w

And a pair of NAD RP18 Kaptons:
Impedance: 50 ohms
Sensitivity: 94dB/mW
Max input: 200mW

I also have a pair of K7xxs which don't need quite as much power as those two so I won't post the specs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.