roender's shunt regulator - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2015, 06:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default roender's shunt regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Rubbish.

The load draws current.
The voltage source sources that current. The load draws current. No load equals no current draw.
We are talking of shunt regulator only.
Old 4th August 2015, 08:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You are on the Leach amp and I am on the RMI-FC100 shunt regulator psu. I was NOT explaining the Leach. Stop confusing. Already there is a lot of confusion here on this thread.

The OP wanted to learn of the SHUNT regulator and not the Leach amp.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 4th August 2015, 09:10 AM   #3
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

start a new thread for explaining the operation of the Roender shunt regulator.
Old 4th August 2015, 10:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
start a new thread for explaining the operation of the Roender shunt regulator.
You better read OP's posts before making your own assumptions.
STOP, get un-confused first.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 5th August 2015, 03:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
is the Thread title.
A tutorial on operation of the Roender Shunt Regulator is not in the title, nor is it mentioned in the OP's opening post.
I did mention that I was interested in how the shunt worked. I am the reason we continued in that discussion. Sorry if folks lost interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai
If I understand it correctly this about the Leach Double Barrel.

Terry, if you look at the attached pictures from my sx-Amp write up, you will see how the square wave step response correlates to the frequency response. See especially the third set of pictures from the top where there is a zero in the response.

Note how this puts a kink in the square wave response similar to the one you are seeing. If transistor Ft OR hFE changed significantly with load, it is possible to introduce this problem.

You may have a compensation issue. I cannot recall what the Ft of the OPS transistors you are using is, but if they are different you should check it out.
Hi Andrew,

That is very interesting. The input cap on the Leach is a 390pF. I did change the output inductor from what Dr Leach recommended and after reading what you wrote that may be some of the cause. This is Dr Leach's description of how to wind the output inductor.

Quote:
L1 - 10 to 12 turns #22 solid insulated wire wound tightly around R49 and soldered to the leads of R49 where they emerge from the resistor body. Click here to see an illustration. Solder one end of a piece of #22 solid wire to one end of R49. Wind the wire tightly around R49 to form L1. Clamp the windings to R49 with a small bench vise. Strip and solder the other end of L1 to R49. Do not use stranded wire.
I didn't do that. I used one I had made for another amp. About 20 turns of 18ga enameled wire wound around a 10mm core and a 4R7 resistor. I'll try winding one like he suggested and see it that helps.
Old 5th August 2015, 05:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmphadte View Post
You better read OP's posts before making your own assumptions.
STOP, get un-confused first.

Gajanan Phadte
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmphadte
As for the current in a shunt regulator, it is always constant in all cases and is decided by the constant current source. The current that is not drawn by the load is consumed by the transistor at the output end..........

above is the shunt regulator explanation and his rubbish reply below

Leach quite obviously did not read your rules for an effective shunt regulator.

Leach uses a resistor as the voltage dropper. He did not see the need to change that resistor to a CCS.
Quote:
it is recommended to use ccs with at least 10% higher current than what the load will draw.Gajanan Phadte

above is the shunt regulator explained further. Leach amp does not have a ccs and his more rubbish below

What is the regulator and what is the load?
The zener is the regulator.
The base terminal is the load. It will draw a few tens of microamps, Let's allow 100uA as a starting value for the load. Add on <<1uA for current leakage through the capacitor, if fitted. That gives a total load of <101uA.
Do you want to add on 1.5mA for the non cascoded transistor?
If Leach followed your rules, then the CCS part would be set to {101uA+1.5mA}+10% =~1.8mA
With a supply rail @ ~60V and the regulator set point being ~40V the voltage dropper sees 20Vdrop.
The effective impedance would need to be 11k

Your "rules" are complete rubbish.

Yes it is total RUBBISH by you, AndrewT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shunt.JPG (34.2 KB, 187 views)
Old 5th August 2015, 06:00 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
is the Thread title.
A tutorial on operation of the Roender Shunt Regulator is not in the title, nor is it mentioned in the OP's opening post.
Go to JC's Blowtorch thread and find out how many posts are related to the Blowtorch Preamp and the original post.

still4given wrote
I did mention that I was interested in how the shunt worked. I am the reason we continued in that discussion. Sorry if folks lost interest.

Last edited by gmphadte; 5th August 2015 at 06:01 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 5th August 2015, 06:14 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

OK looks like these posts got relocated. A friend sent me the boards for the shunt as well as for the FC-100. I'm going to try to read through that thread to hopefully help me understand the circuit better.

Blessings, Terry
Old 5th August 2015, 06:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I do not want to warn you but it is better you read the FC-100 thread. No doubt, the amp is very good and was my first choice, but reading the difficulties with the thermal compensation due to original design transistors out of production, I gave up on it and went for the Leach. Currently, the thermaltrek transistors are used in my Leach.

Anyhow, go for it.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 5th August 2015, 01:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I wondered about using thermal track in the Leach instead of the diode string. It would require a new layout.

Hide this!Advertise here!