measuring a transformer Marantz 2245

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend of mine has this receiver and he wants to measure the transformer to replace it. It was in a shop for a year under the "care" of a dubious technician. The guy couldn't really ever figure out what was wrong with this thing other than to say that he felt that the transformer was bad. Apparently the fuses are ok, but it doesn't power up. Sounds fishy. Anyways I was wondering if some one could help me with measuring a transformer, how this is done precisely. Everyone's help is truly appreciated!!!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can't believe a simple problem like that could keep anyone stumped for long.

It could be the lamps are all burned out and the amp has a problem. There is a fuse in series with the fuse holder on some models. The power switch can go open, or the primary may be open (really, really rare). Or the tech may have killed it.

The power transformer is not easily replaced. If it is in fact damaged (not working) it would be easier to buy another 2245 and make one good one from the two, since who knows what will be wrong with teh other one. A very nice unit when fixed up.

-Chris

anatech said:
The power transformer is not easily replaced. If it is in fact damaged (not working) it would be easier to buy another 2245 and make one good one from the two, since who knows what will be wrong with teh other one. A very nice unit when fixed up.

-Chris

Just like Noah -- 2 of everything is a good idea.

Reproductions of the manuals and schematics are always available on EBay.

ps -- I got my Marantz in the Millburn Township Dump -- I don't know when another 2245 will show up, however. There was a pair of the "Larger Advents" in the pile yesterday (Monday, weekdays are good for dumpster diving), but I didn't bother to pick them up.

IIRC 2245 was before the time when everyone started including thermal breakers into the windings of their undersized transformers ;) which probably means the 'tech' doesn't want to mess with it or has cooked the tranny himself, so either lazy or clueless...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Now ilimzn,
The sad thing about that is that Marantz was known to have supplies and output stages built heavier than other mass market manufacturers. I think I've only ever seen one shorted transformer from before the thermal fuse days. And I know the idiot tech who killed it too.

-Chris

Edit: still learning to spell.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.