Yamaha RX-Z9 in protect mode - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2015, 01:57 PM   #1
srinath is offline srinath  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Yamaha RX-Z9 in protect mode

I bought a Z9 that was dropped in shipping but worked fine in the pure direct mode off that auction site.

The back right speaker output part of the panel was caved and the circuit board cracked. Left was near perfect, all the issues and work I did are on the right side.

So I took it apart hammered the panel flat, and found all solder traces that were busted and I replaced them with jumpers.

The amp worked but connecting and disconnecting the speakers would send it into "check SP wires" mode.

Great, I was shorting the jumpers to the chassis. I put a piece of cardboard under it. Yes fixed that and it worked fine except zone 2 and the center.

I didn't jumper these 2 initially cos they looked better than the surround and surround back etc. So I jumpered them. No change.

By this point I have taken that back panel off like 5 times and jumpered and soldered away a bunch. Between each test, it works except for 1 speaker or 2 etc etc that have intermittent issues etc etc. I also have blown out all the dust from inside it.

Then yesterday I desoldered the binding posts and found out that in the center the red prongs were broken off.

So I put a jumper for that. Same with zone 2.

Then when I powered it up, the amp doesn't come on. It straightaway runs the fans at full speed and I get no display and no nothing. I powered it up in my house, not in the driveway like I did all these previous times, and I didn't detect any smell of anything burning, and no smoke either.

I tried resetting - and it doesn't work and erasing the protect code also doesn't work.

I removed the power connections to the power amps - both sides - and still no life. Fan runs at full speed @ power up, no display, no nothing. I cant still reset it.

Has anyone looked at one of these receivers before and what could be going on.

Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 26th July 2015, 05:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

No power to microprocessor for some reason?
Old 26th July 2015, 05:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default microprocessor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossklass View Post
No power to microprocessor for some reason?
Which microprocessor, where is it and what sends it power ?

Its running the fans @ full speed right upon power up, nothing even gets warm. Is that fan controlled by the microprocessor.
Its cold and it runs the fans, I am thinking thermal sensor malfunction - but I cant imagine why it happened after I fixed all the issues.

Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 26th July 2015, 06:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

OK I tightened the speaker terminals (which were IMHO already tight enough for screws into plastic) and the thing started powering up and showing error codes when I turn it on in diagnostic mode.

I first got PS1 protect. Power supply protect.
Every subsequent time I get DC1 protect. DC at the speakers - which is really odd, the power amps are not plugged in.

Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 26th July 2015, 06:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Then now I have DC0.
Why does the manual say nothing about these error codes ?
Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 26th July 2015, 08:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

OK this amp is a weird puppy.
This is the sequence of events to a working amp from where I started out this post with.

I tighten the screws from the speaker binding post panel to the rear panel of the amp - AKA over tighten them, and the fan running and not lighting up and not powering up problem goes away. Amp powers up and shuts down in 4 sec if normally powered up, and it powers up and shows DC0 or DC1 when powered up in the diagnostic - bypass mode. The first time it showed PS1.

Then plugging in the power amps - removed the DC0/1 error and its a working amp now.

Weird. Weird ... weird. and bloody hell - weird.

Cool.
Srinath.

Hide this!Advertise here!