1st time DIY Class A - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2002, 05:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 1st time DIY Class A

I'm new to the realm of DIY audio, soon I'll be making a pair of speaker cables and interconnects. I've also started to toy with the idea of making my own 2 channel amp. I'm really only looking for something in the 20-50wpc range. Are there any high quality/decntly priced DIY kits out there? I'm realistically looking at around $500, but not sure if that's too low a figure. I have a fairly good understanding of electronics, so anything that has a fairly logical approach too would be no problem, not to mention I have 3 people in my family who are electricians/electrical engineers..thanks for any advice
Old 20th March 2002, 06:01 PM   #2
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Do you really want Class A? It makes a big difference.
Old 20th March 2002, 07:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

well, more so something solid state, I haven't been able to find anything as far as a tube amp design that will put out 20wpc, plus i like metal boxes...
Old 20th March 2002, 08:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

If you want class A check out www.passdiy.com there are tons of people on this forum that have built variations of the different amps here and Nelson is great to support DIYers as much as he does.
Old 21st March 2002, 03:09 AM   #5
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

You did say a kit, didn't you? The Pass stuff is a little ambitious if you haven't built amps before.
Try http://www.printedelectronics.com. These amps are simple and quite inexpensive, and have a large following. You'll need to provide your own box and power supply components.
Old 21st March 2002, 05:49 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

yeah, I saw the AKSA amp the other day, it definitely looks like a possible option...as far as passdiy, the amps I saw on there really were the ones that got me interested and brought me to this site, but they definitely look like a task electronically, I've also looked at the amps at LCaudio, nice but a little more than I can afford, unless I wanted to be a part or two here and there
Old 21st March 2002, 07:44 AM   #7
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

This looks interesting http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/hawk_a18_e.html
Old 21st March 2002, 03:38 PM   #8
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Jab23
build the Hiraga 20W Classe A, 8 transistors, sounds great, tried and true only 50mV DC at the output.
I used a DC blocking cap in the input and regulated PS though!
See Geoff's site.
Old 21st March 2002, 04:09 PM   #9
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

I agree with grataku, I have built a few Hiraga Class A 20/30W amps, fairly simple with good sound.

All the parts are easy to get and cheap, the offset is nice and low without matched transistors and I haven't experienced any turn on/off nasties.

Can post my PCB layout if anyone is interested?

The Full article is available at :<a href="http://www.gmweb.btinternet.co.uk/hiraga.htm">The Class-A Amplifier Site - Jean Hiraga Index</a>
Most of the article been translated to English, for the rest I would recommend <a href="http://trans.voila.fr/?getting_web">voila - traduction</a>, gives much better results than babelfish/InterTran

Regards
James
Old 21st March 2002, 06:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

are there kits available for the hiraga? I want something that I don't have to search around for parts on

Hide this!Advertise here!