Discussing digital and class A amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yep, this one is also nice and big and consumes lots of fuel:

Attachments

• tractor.jpg
    tractor.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,317
Yes but i have to make a big heatsink for my Single End Class A FET's, because it gives the best sound... WRONG

Sorry guys .... There are better ways............!

Less Idle (Waste) power
More audio power 290 Watts RMS in 8 Ohms (> 1 kW in 2 OHMS)
Smaller power supply
MUCH smaller amplifier footprint (credit card size)
NO heatsink
Better sound!!!!!!!!!

Get modern!

Lars Clausen

Not to be unpleasent or anything, but this is the passlabs forum, the thread is named Zen IV progress report....and furthermore there are pics that clearly states that this is class A amps in question.

Now what makes you think anybody here are interested in digi amps?

Post in the digi forum, plenty of people there who may share your point of wiev.

Magura

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
update

So why waste your time, space and money building a Class A amp?

Lars

I think it would be really time then to update your website and stop customers from buying one of your time, space and money wasting ZAPsolute Class A amps...

I recently aquired two "The End Millenium" modules and now I don't know if I should feel lucky or not. Any critical acclaim from your side regarding Class A/B amps?

Superstition: A Class A/B amplifier is not a heavy power consumer, and can with the right power supply give a very good sound. Millennium is a great choice, if you want to go for analog amplification, since it is completely free from feedback loops.

You are right : Our own ZAPsolute Class A amplifers are also heavy power consumers, however they do have an Auto Power Down mode, to reduce waste of energy. This means they will only run in Class A mode when you need it for critical listening. In 90% of the time, you use your stereo for other purposes, such as background music, when you have guests, listening to the news, radio, loud techno music when vacuming :D etc. In these cases you don't really need the amp to run in pure Class A, so your amplifier will play in a less power consuming 'powerdown mode'. It still plays, almost exactly like in Class A mode but with a reduced BIAS current, so it runs in Class A/B. The sound quality is slightly reduced in Class A/B mode.
ZAPsolute series had this function for around 7 years.

Lars,

Thank you for taking the wind out of my sails, hijacking the thread and shamelessly promoting you own commercial products.:whazzat:

I am truly astounded. You have the audacity to criticize the builders of Nelson Pass's Class A designs when you also market a Class A amplifier of your own. Does your hypocrisy have no bounds?

I decided to build the Zen VI because of it's design simplicity, low cost and desire to build a Nelson Pass Design (I own a Threshold and Aleph 30). Your ZAPsolute Mk4.1 Class A amplifier in kit form is almost $2700 USD. My Zen IV after all is said and done will have cost me $600 USD.

Please, if you want to critize those who choose to DIY a Nelson Pass amplifier design and hawk your own products, do it elsewhere.

Thank you Nelson Pass for sharing your designs, your years of audio design expertise and for your contributions to the DIY audio community.

Magura: Annoyed about what? :D As it appears I didn't post anything in this thread ... ;)

The fact that my posts were removed by the moderators, supposedly for colliding with someone else's marketing plan (who's company name is to be found atop on the front page of www.diyaudio.com) raises the question if diyaudio.com is truely a non-commercial discussion forum, or just a stealth marketing tool for this same corporation.

I have received ample proof to convince me of the latter, and therefore i will move to ask the moderators to remove all my posts ever made here on diyaudio.com.

As this very post would undesirably reveal the true nature of diyaudio.com (in my judgement), i think you will see that it will also be erased by the moderators very soon.

Take care everone! Things are not always what they appear.

All the best from Lars Clausen

Lars, if you look more closely your messages are not just deleted they have been sent to "Texas"...

I'm sorry if you feel so strongly as to leave the place. I still urge you to reconsider. Some of the information you have shared and posted is mush appreciated and has lead to interesting discussions.

I think you just have to consider that people in general do not like when someone tells you have to forget this or that and do something totally different. Especially if one is in the middle of building something and it's a big project taking a lot of effort.

If you want to propagate new technology, it has to be done gently and it takes time. Most no one will go to your pointed direction just because you say it's the right way. Specially DIY crowd wants to have proof from many people, magazines, etc to really get convinced and to try something technologically so different.

Ergo

For starters, may be you could start by publishing the measurement results of you PWM amps, commenting them and showing the progress. I for one am also not at all convinced that they can sound as good as a good class-A amp. Spending $450 just to find out if it is or not I consider too high of a risk.

Lars,
I think people in your business have greatly benefit from this and other websites as a tool to promote themselves and their business. Not so in your case. I think there are many people here that bought some of your BS together with highly positive reviews of your products and really thought you knew something about audio electronics. It took only a few thread of yours here to...lets just say your image has been forever altered, ok?
I think you would have been better off if you never joined this site and spent more time in fine tuning your products, god knows they need it.
I think getting a "clean slate" so to speak is a little too much to ask. Your posts should stay right where they are.

Grataku, (I'm speaking as a member, not as a mod) I've found quite a bit of interesting content in some of Lars's posts. And his willingness to revisit some of the experimental data he presented in the "wobbling" thread is commendable.

(mod hat on) We pulled one of his posts completely- the post in question had nothing to do with diy, but was more in the nature of an advertisement. Though dark implications are made regarding (presumably) Pass Labs and its influence on diyAudio.com, advertising of that sort from them would be pulled, too. Not that Nelson would do that, of course...

We now return you to the subject at hand, a really fine-looking build by kilowattski.

:cop:
Lars Clausen posts from Zen IV Progress Report (by kilowattski) has been originally moved to Texas, as this was clearly a case of thread jacking. However, after consideartion, we feel that the issue (digital amps vs class A amps) is interesting enough to make a thread of its own.

Lars,

To be clear, your posts did not disappear, we just put them on hold (in Texas) to figure out the best venue for them.

If you felt unjustified or handled inapproprietly, I apoplogize for that. Please also reconsider your decision about leaving the forum. Although some may be against you, I still consider your input as valuable.

Peter Daniel
diy Audio Moderator
:cop:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.