Rotel amp no IC version

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there!

I am repairing a Rotel RA 870 (not the BX) amp, and the phono stage has some hum+noise problem. I tried to find the schematic for this early version with all transistor stages, but on the web I found only the IC phono and gain stage variant's service manual.
I wonder if anyone here has the schematic for these circuits (the phono stage has 30 transistors on its board!). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Greetings: Andrew

So, here we go again..... I found another problem that initially skipped my attention. On one channel (power amp) everything is fine, DC offset 4.5 mV, bias adjustable, set to 30mA per output transistor.
But the other, seems to get me, despite some experience in repairs. Whatever I do, the output is stuck around -200mV, and the worse part, it does not respond to bias adjustment, stays steadily at around 100mA. I checked everything,(statically) transistors, diodes, electrolytics, resistors, trimpot,: OK.
Actually the amp works, the protection does not engage, but the "bad" channel is louder than the other by about 6dB.
It is a PITA to work on, at least to measure voltages, because the opening on the bottom is rather small, so I cannot access many parts to measure, to get the board out is a nightmare, every connection is wirewrapped on it.....

Does anyone have any idea what might cause this problem? (oh yes, checked it with scope too, no oscillation either.)

Attachments

• hfe_rotel_ra-870_service-004.jpg
    hfe_rotel_ra-870_service-004.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 53
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.