Adcom 5400: using lower capacitance caps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2015, 04:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Adcom 5400: using lower capacitance caps

It's time for me to recap my Adcom 5400, and a respected modder and audio engineer recommended that I replace the 12000uf 63v PS caps with 10000uf 63v caps. The reason for this is that it would allow me to use his preferred caps--Mundorf. They don't make a 12kuf version.

For the sanity check, do you all think this is a good idea, if my main goal is improved sonics?

Oh yeah, one more detail: The amp won't be driven very hard. I'm only using it to drive the mids/tweets in a biamp configuration.

Thanks!

Last edited by sneecheswithstars; 9th July 2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 9th July 2015, 06:51 AM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I think it is a bad idea. Just fit good quality caps of the correct value or a little more, never less. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the major brands like Nichicon, Panasonic or Rubycon. They probably cost less and have better specs as a bonus.
Old 9th July 2015, 07:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie00boy View Post
I think it is a bad idea. Just fit good quality caps of the correct value or a little more, never less. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the major brands like Nichicon, Panasonic or Rubycon. They probably cost less and have better specs as a bonus.
+1

Mike
Old 9th July 2015, 07:13 AM   #4
sajti is offline sajti  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Now I'm going to the opposite side:

I don't think, that this reduction makes any kind of porblem. Maybe it can reduce the bass quality somwhat, but it's out of question, as You wrote.
Just one remark: It will be hard to predict, if the sound quality will be better, or not.

Sajti
Old 9th July 2015, 07:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hmm. Yeah, it would be weird if taking this person's advice would mess it up, given his reputation. But it makes me a bit uncomfortable, if for no other reason that I would have to defend the decision if I were to try to resell it.

I just found that Mundorf does make a 15kuf cap, but unfortunately it has a 5mm bigger diameter. It's pretty tight in there--not sure if it will fit.

15,000µF / 63VDC, MLytic® Audio Grade MLGO (Glue-On 2 Pin), 35mmD x 60mmH
MUNDORF M-Lytic AG Series MLGO+ (Glue-On) & MLSI+ (Snap-In) 2-Pole Electrolytic Capacitors
Mundorf MLytic AG MLGO 15000uF 63VDC, Sonic Craft

Here's the puzzling part--almost nobody seems to carry the cap in this value, and Mundorf's spec sheet skips from 10k to 22k. (http://www.partsconnexion.com/prod_pdf/mund_ag.pdf)

Last edited by sneecheswithstars; 9th July 2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 9th July 2015, 08:12 AM   #6
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Electrically, replacing 12mF with 10mF will make almost no difference - very slight increase in hum. However, with the typical electrolytic tolerance range you could be increasing capacitance by a little or reducing it by more!

Replacing Brand X by Brand Y caps will make no difference, assuming both are competently made.

So my conclusion is that this is a bad idea if your aim is "improved sonics". This is because it costs you money to get nowhere. On the other hand, if you would like the warm glow of knowing (and telling your friends?) that you have used Brand Y caps as an 'upgrade' to your amp then go ahead.
Old 9th July 2015, 08:15 AM   #7
sajti is offline sajti  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneecheswithstars View Post
Here's the puzzling part--almost nobody seems to carry the cap in this value, and Mundorf's spec sheet skips from 10k to 22k. (http://www.partsconnexion.com/prod_pdf/mund_ag.pdf)
There are some possibilities to choose:

15000uF Aluminium Electrolytic Capacitors | Mouser

Sajti
Old 9th July 2015, 01:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Adcom gfa-5400 mods?
Old 9th July 2015, 03:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Whoever recommended the Mundorf caps has just invalidated their reputability and thus the advice can and should be dismissed as nonsense. Stick with reputable capacitors from honest, real manufacturers. Mundorf is a snake oil scam company.

Hide this!Advertise here!