New type of Toshiba 2sc5200/2sa1943 or FAKE? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2015, 07:54 PM   #1
F4n is offline F4n  Poland
diyAudio Member

Default New type of Toshiba 2sc5200/2sa1943 or FAKE?

Has anyone already met with those looks? These are similar to the pattern of the sample. But the question is whether it is fake or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0241.jpg (844.5 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0238.jpg (382.5 KB, 260 views)
Old 3rd July 2015, 02:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Do you have reason to suspect these are fake? They are not new Toshiba types because 2SC5200/2SA1943 are now obsolete.

There is a marking specification for this product on page 2 of the PDF datasheet found here. It could help identify stupid faking mistakes.

Unless you crack them open and compare with real products or pics in many other similar threads here (search your topic before opening a new thread), you won't know for certain but without the "JAPAN" marking, they don't comply with the original spec. but they have been manufactured in China for some time too.

If you expect genuine Toshiba parts, buy from a genuine, authorized parts seller and not because of bargain prices. Current genuine Toshiba product is TTC5200/TTA1943 (TO264) from China or smaller 2SC5200N/2SA1943N (TO3P) in case you weren't aware. Everything else is NOS or fake.
Old 3rd July 2015, 03:28 AM   #3
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

The 2SC5200 is apparently marked as 'available' on Toshiba site. 2SC5200 | Bipolar Transistors | TOSHIBA Semiconductor & Storage Products Company | Asia-Pacific

Not saying that these are genuine, though.

The device is now manufactured in China, so that might explain the absence of the word 'Japan' from the packaging.

These types have begun showing up in local distribution here. I've picked up a few pairs, but have yet to work out how 'original' they are.
Old 3rd July 2015, 04:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangram View Post
The 2SC5200 is apparently marked as 'available' on Toshiba site.
I noticed this but 1 year ago (10 year life cycle) it was marked as "not suitable for new manufacture". Manufacturers were advised to use the Chinese TTC/TTA marked types which had 30% smaller dies, as do the smaller TOP3 versions. Now the TTC/TTA types are marked as "not suitable for new manufacture" instead Perhaps they realized the TT prefix was confusing and sales were lost.
Old 3rd July 2015, 04:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I also think the huge number of alternative parts from ST, Fairchild, ISC etc may have promoted them to bring the old girls back...

For one reason or the other they continue to be hugely popular. Whether they deserve it or not is a totally different question.
Old 3rd July 2015, 05:34 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

How can you mention ISC in the same breath as ST and Fairchild?
Old 3rd July 2015, 05:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I don't understand the question? They are a semiconductor manufacturer, aren't they?

They are obviously selling enough to keep producing the parts. Anybody can weigh in on the merits of their product, but at the end of the day sales matter.

Note that I was not saying their produced was good or bad - I assume that is what you thought, and in which case, it was a mistaken assumption. I have never used that product and would not personally buy it, but when there is enough sale it is probably enough for even Toshiba to sit up and take twice and maybe make some modifications in their product strategy.

Or is it now in vogue on this forum to not look at context of posts and just pick on bits that do and do o sound good to people? Never noticed this here before but seeing a lot of it lately.
Old 3rd July 2015, 07:59 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

ISC is one massive manufacturer. They are a relatively new player but that doesn't diminish their product quality which, just by my limited use of their power transistors, I consider to be very good, though not based on the best technologies available.

I'm not disappointed in their consistency, product finish, marking etc. either but as sangram put it, it's sales that matter and if quality is up there too, they have an unbeatable combination. They'll most likely continue to grow and develop at the expense of ST, Fairchild, Toshiba and other major players too, like it or not.
Old 3rd July 2015, 06:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangram View Post
The 2SC5200 is apparently marked as 'available' on Toshiba site. 2SC5200 | Bipolar Transistors | TOSHIBA Semiconductor & Storage Products Company | Asia-Pacific

Not saying that these are genuine, though.

The device is now manufactured in China, so that might explain the absence of the word 'Japan' from the packaging.

These types have begun showing up in local distribution here. I've picked up a few pairs, but have yet to work out how 'original' they are.
does that means if i bought 2SC5200 now and find the word "Japan" means it's fake?
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I use them in my proto amp but i haven`t pushed them hard with the dummy load. I guess they are ok? Anyone has a picture of a broken bjt without japan stamped?

Hide this!Advertise here!