Negative 5 volt on Adcom 555 MK II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have read everything on this amp, but after months and months of testing and repairing, I can not find the reason for a Neg 5 volt at the RH speaker out.

I have matched the transistors and tested and replaced anything that is even kinda out of spec.

The variable R119 resistor is turned all the way up to 5 ohms, no more adjustment.

If someone could be kind enough to point me to a proper test so I can get the amp finished.

I am using a Fluke 87 and a Heath 18 tester.

Thank You.

Dan.

Thank you for clearing that up, I guess I was not understanding the circuit, I thought they went hand in hand.

I replaced ic101 with a LT1006, maybe I got it to hot when I installed it, I have a new op97e I can put in.

I will do that now and see what happens.

Thank you for the reply, Craig, I do appreciate it.

Dan....

I thought someone posted about the capacitors c157 c158 and c160, I just replaced those with a new op97, I used the variable resistors to set the bias at the t# posts.

I set it at the lower side of 3.5mv, I am still running the amp through a 72 watt bulb.

Now I have 8.1 volts of negative offset at the RH output.

I bought this amp from a audio store, it was a basket case, all apart, all transistors laying in a box, ALL of them. Half the resistors were missing. I have done my best to do this right, with the correct parts.

I sourced parts from bdent, Mouser and Digi key, I believe I recieved some fake or junk parts along the way. I replaced some parts 5 or six times with the same results. I have been on this since March.

I made another order from Bdent and replaced the already relaced transistors and low and behold I no longer have 80 volts, just the 8 volt neg on the RH side, LH is 0.00v.

Q101 and 102 I matched yesterday, and it made no difference.

At this point I am kinda at a stand still. There is something I am overlooking, I just do not know what that can be.

Dan.

Could anyone recommend a transistor tester that will load the transistor with working volts/amps. I have all kinds of parts that I can change out in a known good circuit, it seems as 90% are no good. My guess is the break down is way to low, or leakage, I do not know what to think any more.

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.