How to improve a Sunfire 300x2 amplifier? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2015, 08:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How to improve a Sunfire 300x2 amplifier?

I was the happy owner of a Sunfire 300 two amplifier. Then I built the Honey Badger...
After having the HB in the system for some days it was a huge dissapointment to plug in the Sunfire, It sounds less detailed.
Are there any components that I can replace to improve the SQ or is it easyer to sell it and build another DIY amp?
Old 22nd June 2015, 08:52 AM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Despite what some people may claim, changing components doesn't really make a change of sound, certainly not a big change anyway. The sound is due more to the circuit choice and how grounding and layout is done.

So if you are no longer happy with it I suggest you sell it and maybe build another honey badger.
Old 22nd June 2015, 05:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngvejos View Post
I was the happy owner of a Sunfire 300 two amplifier. Then I built the Honey Badger...
After having the HB in the system for some days it was a huge dissapointment to plug in the Sunfire, It sounds less detailed.
Are there any components that I can replace to improve the SQ or is it easyer to sell it and build another DIY amp?
Or , just swap some Badgers into it. (below) Huge shielded trafo !!
Looks like the sunfire just uses the bottom chassis plate as the heatsink.

Actually , Richie's suggestion might be better , the sunfire has joke of a layout.
Looks like even my last generation Badger has it beat in SQ , as well.
Carver must of outsourced this design .

OS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunfire300.jpg (57.8 KB, 40 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!