Parasound HCA-1000a Refresh - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2015, 04:12 PM   #1
skrol is offline skrol  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Parasound HCA-1000a Refresh

Hello, I haven't posted here much but visit from time to time.

Previously I had re-caped a Parasound HCA-800ii and C/PT-600. I had found that about 1/3 of the electrolytic caps had gone out of spec. The signal path caps were replaced with Nichicon FG and KZ. The improvement was quite dramatic. The background is now very dark and imaging with my Polk LSi-15's is fantastic. I know that these are rather lowly components in the Parasound line but they are enough to make me a fan and I plan to move up the Parasound chain as I am able.

I recently picked up a Parasound HCA-1000a for very little $$ that needs a little help but still sounds good in spite. I was trying to hold out for a HCA-1200 or 1500 but couldn't pass this one for the price. There were things that bothered me about the HCA-800ii layout that seem to have all been addressed with the 1000a. The build is very beefy and I love the symmetry. I look forward to restoring it to glory even is it is also on the lower end of the line.

The amp looks to be in good shape except for some bad solder joints and the power supply caps are bulged. There are four Elna 10000uF, 63V. I saw mention of increasing to 15000uF, 80V, however, the ones that I have found look to be physically too large. It looks like I can go 35-40mm dia x 70mm high. Any recommendation for replacements?

As this amp has some age, what other items should I consider replacing?

The PCB is pretty dirty and seems to have a cruddy film (smoker environment). Is there anything I can safely use to clean the board or should I just leave it alone?

Thanks in advance
Stan
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM   #2
skrol is offline skrol  United States
diyAudio Member

Is there anybody out there? I just thought I would benefit from the knowledge and experience of those who have worked on these amps before.

Where would be a reliable source for buying the Elna LAO caps?
Stan
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Andreas B Send a message via AIM to Andreas B Send a message via Yahoo to Andreas B
You can clean the pcb with a brush and isopropanol(isoprop.alcool).Be carefoul with mkt capacitors,when you clean.

Regards
Andreas

Hide this!Advertise here!