Harmon Kardon vintage HK775 monoblock info

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ran across a couple of Harmon Kardon HK775 monoblocks (circa 1981-1983) at my local TV repair shop. They've been sitting there for a couple of years waiting for their owner. Does any one have any info or remember anything about these amps? I checked the HK site and found the owner's manual and some basic specifications. There wasn't a whole lot of info in either document. There is basically no info online anywhere that I can find.

The amps are labeled HK775 DC monoblock amplifier. I'm assuming that means direct coupled, any thoughts?

The basic specifications look good however I know that specsmanship is older than I am. They claim a S/N of 123 db and a power rating of 130 watts, RMS/ch into 8 ohms from 20-20kHz with < 0.03% THD. Looks good, any comments?

I was thinking of using them for a 2ch rig for now until I build a couple of amps myself.

audioslave said:
I ran across a couple of Harmon Kardon HK775 monoblocks (circa 1981-1983) at my local TV repair shop. They've been sitting there for a couple of years waiting for their owner. Does any one have any info or remember anything about these amps? I checked the HK site and found the owner's manual and some basic specifications. There wasn't a whole lot of info in either document. There is basically no info online anywhere that I can find.

The amps are labeled HK775 DC monoblock amplifier. I'm assuming that means direct coupled, any thoughts?

The basic specifications look good however I know that specsmanship is older than I am. They claim a S/N of 123 db and a power rating of 130 watts, RMS/ch into 8 ohms from 20-20kHz with < 0.03% THD. Looks good, any comments?

I was thinking of using them for a 2ch rig for now until I build a couple of amps myself.

At the right price I'd say go for it !

If you want to build some amplifiers at a later date you can cannibalise them
for the parts, especially the case, hardware, transformers and heatsinks.

:) sreten.

Thanks Rodd, Carlos, and Sreten. I think I'll grab them if the pirice is right.

The one good thing about Praudio's comment is that it made me look up who Matti Otala was/is. Sounds like the guy is responsible for modern SS amp design. I'm reading self's handbook now and sounds like the same philosophy. Use local feedback to linearize each stage.

BTW What the hell is PRAT?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.