Harmon Kardon vintage HK775 monoblock info - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2004, 09:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Harmon Kardon vintage HK775 monoblock info

I ran across a couple of Harmon Kardon HK775 monoblocks (circa 1981-1983) at my local TV repair shop. They've been sitting there for a couple of years waiting for their owner. Does any one have any info or remember anything about these amps? I checked the HK site and found the owner's manual and some basic specifications. There wasn't a whole lot of info in either document. There is basically no info online anywhere that I can find.

The amps are labeled HK775 DC monoblock amplifier. I'm assuming that means direct coupled, any thoughts?

The basic specifications look good however I know that specsmanship is older than I am. They claim a S/N of 123 db and a power rating of 130 watts, RMS/ch into 8 ohms from 20-20kHz with < 0.03% THD. Looks good, any comments?

I was thinking of using them for a 2ch rig for now until I build a couple of amps myself.
Old 3rd February 2004, 12:44 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I've never heard them play, but '81 Audio Mag Equipment Listing has it selling for ~$850 for the dual mono amp. Specs agree as well. It looks to be at the high end of the mid-fi stuff. They might make a good subamp.
Old 3rd February 2004, 03:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Impressive specs ! Matti Otala low TIM design, but a typical japaneese mass production construction= no music,sterile sound and no PRAT .
Old 4th February 2004, 10:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Praudio
Impressive specs ! Matti Otala low TIM design, but a typical japaneese mass production construction= no music,sterile sound and no PRAT .
No musical and sterile sound compared to what! Let's hope you don't mean a tube or SE amp.

The HK770's service manual is online here:

http://manuals.harman.com/hk/Service...hk770%20sm.pdf

Carlos
Old 4th February 2004, 01:10 PM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Harmon Kardon vintage HK775 monoblock info

Quote:
Originally posted by audioslave
I ran across a couple of Harmon Kardon HK775 monoblocks (circa 1981-1983) at my local TV repair shop. They've been sitting there for a couple of years waiting for their owner. Does any one have any info or remember anything about these amps? I checked the HK site and found the owner's manual and some basic specifications. There wasn't a whole lot of info in either document. There is basically no info online anywhere that I can find.

The amps are labeled HK775 DC monoblock amplifier. I'm assuming that means direct coupled, any thoughts?

The basic specifications look good however I know that specsmanship is older than I am. They claim a S/N of 123 db and a power rating of 130 watts, RMS/ch into 8 ohms from 20-20kHz with < 0.03% THD. Looks good, any comments?

I was thinking of using them for a 2ch rig for now until I build a couple of amps myself.
At the right price I'd say go for it !

If you want to build some amplifiers at a later date you can cannibalise them
for the parts, especially the case, hardware, transformers and heatsinks.

sreten.
Old 4th February 2004, 03:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Rodd, Carlos, and Sreten. I think I'll grab them if the pirice is right.

The one good thing about Praudio's comment is that it made me look up who Matti Otala was/is. Sounds like the guy is responsible for modern SS amp design. I'm reading self's handbook now and sounds like the same philosophy. Use local feedback to linearize each stage.

BTW What the hell is PRAT?
Old 4th February 2004, 04:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by audioslave
BTW What the hell is PRAT?
Pace, Rhythm and Timing

Hide this!Advertise here!