Transformer Upgrade - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2015, 02:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer Upgrade

I want to install a more powerful transformer on my preamp. I was looking at the following transformer AN-2225 - 200VA 25V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp which the designer recommends. Unfortunately they do not have it in stock. I sourced out two Hammond transformers and trying to pick one of them which comes close to mirroring the same specs as the Antek. The Hammond transformers are: http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf2/1182P12.pdf and http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf2/1182P22.pdf. Which one comes closest to the Antek? Thanks

Last edited by Harmon; 5th May 2015 at 01:44 AM.
Old 4th May 2015, 03:08 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

That transformer has a maximum continuous output of around 2.5Adc and when downrated for cool running duty can still manage 1250mAdc continuously.

That would supply a pair of pre-amps for a long time !
Old 5th May 2015, 12:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The preamp has a non-toroid transformer. This upgrade is approved by the designer and has been done by other people with great success. I want to know which one of the two Hammonds come closest to the Antek.
Old 5th May 2015, 01:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
The preamp has a non-toroid transformer. This upgrade is approved by the designer and has been done by other people with great success. I want to know which one of the two Hammonds come closest to the Antek.
Obviously the second one is the only one that's anywhere near close, as the first is only 12V, and the second is 22V - the Antek is 25V.

However, has this 'great success' been proved by measurements or double-blind tests - I wouldn't expect a preamp to be improved by a 200W mains transformer, and a toroid should make no difference either.
Old 5th May 2015, 02:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer Upgrade

I appreciate your response Nigel. I believe the first Hammond is feasible if the secondaries are connected in series giving 24volts(only 1 volt difference) and the amps will remain the same at about 5 amps. Is this correct?

Last edited by Harmon; 5th May 2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 6th May 2015, 07:30 AM   #6
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I don't think so.
The amps will not remain at 5Aac.

They might vary between 0mAac to 200mAac.
Old 6th May 2015, 08:29 AM   #7
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I want to install a more powerful transformer on my preamp. I was looking at the following transformer AN-2225 - 200VA 25V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp which the designer recommends. Unfortunately they do not have it in stock. I sourced out two Hammond transformers and trying to pick one of them which comes close to mirroring the same specs as the Antek. The Hammond transformers are: http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf2/1182P12.pdf and http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf2/1182P22.pdf. Which one comes closest to the Antek? Thanks

whoa, big big traffos for a preamp?
how much power does your preamp consume anyway?
or maybe you mean power amp perhaps?
Old 6th May 2015, 08:36 AM   #8
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I appreciate your response Nigel. I believe the first Hammond is feasible if the secondaries are connected in series giving 24volts(only 1 volt difference) and the amps will remain the same at about 5 amps. Is this correct?
try not to lose sleep over a 1volt difference...
variations in your line/loads will make that a non issue...
Old 6th May 2015, 09:54 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Except you then only have a single supply (0-24V - from a 12V-0-12V transformer), the original is 25V-0-25V presumably because the preamp uses a split supply?.

But again, why the huge wattage transformer?, is it a power amp as well as a preamp?.
Old 6th May 2015, 10:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

It is my understanding that the larger the transformer ,within limits, assuming the audio board is capable of handling the extra voltage the better the sound.
It is a dual mono preamp with phono stage.

Hide this!Advertise here!