Tivoli Model One Problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2015, 01:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tivoli Model One Problem

Hello. I found this board via Google. Sorry if this is the wrong board to post on, but I saw some other posts bout Tivoli radios on this board, so thought it would be okay.

I purchased a Tivoli Model One about a year ago and I’ve noticed that it’s developed a problem that seems to be getting worse. I can find no real rhyme or reason to it, but I was able to “catch it” happening. It starts with a little “popping” and then a strange hum. When the hum starts the lights dim just a little. After a little while it will go into this high pitch screech and the lights shut off. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn’t. Turning it off and on again fixes it, but it frequently just does this again and again.

This is what it looks like: https://youtu.be/v2Ghi-_Dk_I

I think it’s been doing this since I got it, but it’s becoming more frequent. Seems to happen constantly now. Anyone have any idea what's wrong or how to fix it? I really like this little guy.
Old 4th May 2015, 02:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Boring answer but this time it actually could be bad capacitors. Open it up and see if there are any physically broken ones in there.
Old 4th May 2015, 07:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sounds like the audio amplifier goes into oscillation when warming up. Could be as simple as a few bad solder joints.

The symptoms may also point to a buffer electrolytic that can no longer maintain its rated voltage though (which can happen in cheap ones in particular); ought to be one of the big ones in the power supply section then.
Old 5th May 2015, 01:40 AM   #4
sregor is offline sregor  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds like it could be switch arcing on start up. Leave unit on, or better jumper the AC switch and try turning it on through a switched outlet strip.

Hide this!Advertise here!