Shielding interconnects - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2004, 03:53 PM   #11
dimitri is offline dimitri  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to dimitri
If the cable is short start with unshielded twisted quad

http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/...o/int_mog.html
http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/.../int_endx.html

> And if I can't find large diameter braid (which I can't) is the foil+drain wire much worse?
The foil can be torn to pieces after bending, and the drain wire can lost contact with the piece of foil

What resources do you have? You can get thin braid from thick TV cable. What foil tape will you use? What will be the length of the cable? What units will you connect? What is the insulator on your litz - silk? Does the individual strand (thin wire) in your litz have it own lacquer isolation?

>How far does the shield need to be spaced away from the conductors, and what to use as a spacer?
At least several diameters of inner wire, with spacer with lower e

http://www.nationalwire.com/frameset...basicintro.htm

I use gold plated RCA connectors from Neutrik - search for Profi, The professional phono plug

>Say what?

will find a link about battery biased cable insulator .
Old 1st February 2004, 04:17 PM   #12
Prune is offline Prune  Canada
Account Disabled

Thanks for the links.

The litz is the Cardas chassis hookup wire, ultra pure copper blah blah blah. Each strand is urethane enameled, no overall insulation. I decided to use litz since I read it minimizes skin effect or whatever. Plus I found good price.

I'm using Neutrik silver XLR connectors, and for the DAC and amp XLR jacks also.

I know braid can be widened, but I don't know if that much. I'll look around for large diameter coax. Maybe Ratshack...

When you say several diameters of inner wire, do you mean conductor diameters, or diameter of the whole twisted quad -- that'll be some fat cable. And I don't know what material to use to space it apart that has low dielectric constant.

So what about the proper wire gauge?

BTW, what do you think of this design:
http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html
He says 3.5pF per foot...
Old 1st February 2004, 04:32 PM   #13
dimitri is offline dimitri  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to dimitri
If you use true balanced XLR connection then try unshielded twisted quad and that's all
-----------

OK, you asked for it ... decline all responsibility ...

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/new-technology.htm
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/cab...ages/4450.html
Old 1st February 2004, 04:50 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default VenHaus Interconnect

Hi Prune,

I've started making some of these interconnects. I'm far from finished , so it will be a while before I can post any results. Sorry if this reply is a considerable detour off the original question, but I thought you might find it amusing.

I have a small limo company in New York and have a lot of waiting time between and during jobs so I bought the rig with me to wrap the wire while I was sitting around.

I'm using 1/4" cotton rope instead of the tubing, so I have to wrap a couple of layers of teflon tape over the rope, then wrap the silver wire (I"m using silver wire with teflon insulation) over the teflon tape, and then wrap two more layers of teflon tape over the wire.

I'm wrapping the wire in front of the CBS news studio and a guy walks past the car and gives me a "what the hell is he doing" look. I look at the cable that I have half the wire wrapped around and realize this thing kinda looks like a fuse for something.

I quickly put everything away and when I got back home the first thing I did was print out the pages with the directions on them, so if the next time I'm in the car and a cop or someone from a federal agency asks me what I doing I'll show them the directions, and won't have to write to you folks about my experiences with the homeland security folks.
Old 1st February 2004, 05:05 PM   #15
Account Disabled

I suggested cotton in another thread, and the replies were that basically there is no way to insulate it completely from moisture (which significantly increases the dielectric constant). Certainly a couple of layers of teflon tape is not going to do it.
Old 2nd February 2004, 05:43 AM   #16
Account Disabled

So what do people think of these VenHous ICs? He just wrapped two wires around a 1/4" Teflon tube in a twisted pair arrangement. I was thinking, why not use the same idea but wind in a star quad arrangement around the tube. If so, should I use larger diameter tube?

Hide this!Advertise here!