Locating point of broken wire in cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering if anyone has a clever solution for finding location of broken wires in multicored cables, headphone cables, and any other audio type cables.
I have tried various tools without much success. These include a homemade TDR, and AC mains sense pens.
I found this CABLE TRACKER WITH TONE GENERATOR Test & Measurements Cable testers , whilst googling around.
Anyone ever try one of these?

An accurate capacitance meter or bridge can give you a pretty good idea where a break is by measuring inter-cable capacitance from each end.

I built a high voltage audio generator and a sniffer once upon a time to find a break in a 200 metre underground cable, it worked quite well and saved a lot of work.

OK, I've tried all above mentioned methods. All work, but, I found if the cable has more than two conductors, the capacitance meter method is not accurate. This I presumed also effected the TDR I built.
I went out and bought the unit similar as advertised in my first post. IT WORKS!!
Gives and audible beep as you move the probe down the cable. The break point will give a "dead" spot where no audio is heard.
Hope this helps someone...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.