Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2004, 11:29 AM   #1
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Question help required with regulator circuit please


I would like to use a low noise regulator circuit to provide a cleaner supply than standard regulators, I have with the help of a few members found 2 ciruicts that may be useful. The regulators will be used for 2 dacs, that will draw more current than the low power versions of the finnesse circuit provide....

With each circuit though there are a couple of issues that I need answers/help.

The first is the wenzel finnesse circuit

1) Can this circuit be adjusted to run off +8v input? V out +5v required.

2) Can someone please tell me what component values must be changed in order to get the +5v ouput, I can build stuff but haven't got a clue when it comes to working out required values, so I need help please!

3) Is there a very easily obtanable slot in alternative to mpsd54?

The second circuit which is technically more suitable is awkward as the design uses smt parts, so again if there are commonly available thru-hole alternatives please tell me (also would need component values for resistors etc).


I have looked at some of the pcb's avaiable for these types of regulators, but this becomes pricey when you need a few of them. So I'd rather build them if possible (I need at least three). I'm quite suprised that nobody on the forum has organised a group buy for forum members where we could all buy pcb's at cost and on a non profit basis. This way a small pcb could be made up for replacing commonly found regulators in audio components. Trouble is I can't do pcb design, but I would be willing to handle shipping to others, if someone can put in a small pcb design for forum members. I'm sure there must be some kind of desire for this, judging by the amount of members that tweak components..............

Anyone interested in doing this??
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 04:55 PM   #2
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Here's a link to the specs for the fmmt619


can anyone suggest an alternative?

I can get the opamps as samples from maxim, they are available in a dil package. The transistor is a bit more difficult, firstly being an smt device and also hard to obtain in the UK in small quantities. Is there anything at all I can substitue easily in it's place?

  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 07:48 PM   #3
Ryssen is online now Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member
Ryssen's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sweden--> Here
I would also like to know,and also how to operate at negative supply,is it just to use an NPN transistor and turn the polarity of the e-lyts and the IC?What NPN to use?
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 07:51 PM   #4
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK

The device shown is I believe a npn transistor, could be wrong though!

  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 09:21 PM   #5
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member
peranders's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Blog Entries: 4
another jung super regulator pcb layout
Super Regulator, collecting the facts
3 terminal Jung Super Regulator Kit

Something to set the teeth in....

Ryssen, check the links about Jung Super Regulator. The answer to your question is normally you just switch polarity of everything but if opamps are involved it might not be true due to common mode limits.
/Per-Anders (my first name) or P-A as my friends call me
Tube Buffered Gainclone in work |Thread || Diamond buffer |Thread for the group buy | Wiki
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 10:51 PM   #6
maylar is offline maylar  United States
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Connecticut
How much current do you need? And why isn't the standard 3-pin regulator like LM7805 good enough?

Your first circuit is a shunt regulator without a reference. Not very accurate, and very inefficient.

The second is a series regulator with a PNP pass transistor and an opamp as an error amplifier. Also with no reference.

The standard power supply chip LM723 would do that much better, with NPN output devices, integral reference and adjustable current limit. The DIP package will do 150 ma without external transistors. If you bypass the reference pin with a 0.1uF cap you can get ripple and noise down to a few millivolts.

The PDF has application circuits:

  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help/Suggestion required for H-Bridge circuit xyz9915 Power Supplies 6 8th May 2008 05:45 PM
Capacitance required for a given circuit ifrythings Power Supplies 11 18th April 2006 02:10 AM
luxman PD 291 turntable schematic - circuit diagram required grbic1 Analogue Source 0 23rd July 2004 11:30 AM
Fet regulator circuit HarryHaller Solid State 47 8th January 2003 03:26 PM
Max fet capacitance before follower circuit required? Apogee Pass Labs 7 10th July 2002 01:15 AM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:10 AM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2