Any problems with Fun-Tak (tm) on the PCB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tweaking time again, and I'm experimenting with covering various electronic components on the PCB with "Fun-Tak" aka "Blu-Tak" aka "adhesive putty". I'm thinking of blanketing every component on the PCB with fun-tak, except for the output transistors. This would include the various fuses, the two large filter caps, emitter resistors, transistors, ceramic disc caps, tiny caps, etc. (Just to be clear, the putty would form a complete seal over the part). The amp is the Rotel 820A (for a pic, see link), and as its actually my better half's amp, my concern is whether covering the parts might affect long-term longevity or reliability, due to a possible increase in heat from not being open and exposed to the air. Are there perhaps some parts on the PCB that shouldn't be covered for this reason or for safety reasons; ie. fuse? FWIW, this is a Class A/B amp and in normal operation does not get very hot (although I expect its going to get a bit hotter once I overbias it....).

Rotel 820A:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/stilyagi/rotelra820A.jpg

p.s. Yes, I "know" this 'crazy tweak' has no effect on the sound, and anyone would be crazy to think otherwise, but I like placebo's... they taste so much sweeter than the regular pill!

You might be surprised with how dampening electronic devices affect the sound. I would be a little careful with simply splashing it all over the place. Use with care, or you might end up with a dulll, overdamped sounding amp. Also, to decide if a place should not be covered because of heat, simply run the amp hard and then pop the hood (after switching off) and put your finger on the components in question. Try to put some on your main capasitors and on critical vibrating chassi-panels ;)

Bill Fitzpatrick said:

No, this is crazy talk.

Depends on your goal. If you're trying to build a straight-wire-with-gain, yeah, it's rather meaningless to talk about overdamping. If you're trying to build an amp from microphonic parts and tune those to get a particular desired coloration, then it certainly IS possible to overdamp.

That said, real potting material is infinitely preferable to sticky stuff of uncertain dielectric and thermal properties.

SY said:

Depends on your goal. If you're trying to build a straight-wire-with-gain, yeah, it's rather meaningless to talk about overdamping. If you're trying to build an amp from microphonic parts and tune those to get a particular desired coloration, then it certainly IS possible to overdamp.

It's not just an amp, its a signal shaper too!
:xeye:
Some people like distortions but if you say their system is distorting reality they go off the handle!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.