Hexfet power amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2004, 09:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hexfet power amplifier

I'm planning to build a medium power(60-100W for 8ohms) amp.
I found this project at
http://users.otenet.gr/~athsam/power_amplifier_65w_hexfet_eng.htm

Now I wonder how this thing sounds. Is it worth to build it? Or it's just a waste of time and I must search for another better power amp schematics.

Any Comments would be appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: gif power_amp_65w_a.gif (16.8 KB, 2104 views)
Old 31st January 2004, 03:14 AM   #2
subwo1 is offline subwo1  United States
diyAudio Member

I tend to think that if the the mosfets are to be connected common source, then a circuit using only N-channel devices benefitting from their superior performance should do better. If an amp uses a P-channel device, it may as well use source follower configuration. The main hitch with source followers is that the gate drive circuit needs to operate about 15 volts beyond each drain power supply.
Old 31st January 2004, 05:14 AM   #3
ojg is offline ojg
diyAudio Member

I have a feeling this amplifier will not work... The drain and source of Q12 need to be switched around. So it becomes a mirror image of Q13. See here for a similiar circuit.
Old 31st January 2004, 05:19 AM   #4
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

This volt thing is true but you must also consider how amperes at 15 V. With a nornmal load (speaker) you only have to have 5-7 volts gate-source voltage. With this design you loses a coulple of watts but in decibells it's almost nothing (1 dB?). Otherwise the design is pretty normal, nothing wierd.

The amp will very much likely work since it's already built. It seems that the output stage is having local current feedback.
Old 31st January 2004, 09:36 AM   #5
ABO is offline ABO  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It is impossible to say beforehand if this amp will work.

This is an amp from Elektor magazine called hexfet amp. The problem with this amp is stability. It may, or may not be stable. The designers never figured out why it does work in one case and not in another.

I know because I e-mailed about it with the designer (t.giesberts@segment.nl).

use mica insulators for Q12,13
use ceramic insulators for Q10,11,8
very close matching of Q1-4, Q7,9, Q10,11

....and hope for the best. The sound is alright though.

I have its higher power brother with IGBT's instead of hexfets. This amp has the same stabitlity problems!

hope this helps
Old 31st January 2004, 10:58 AM   #6
Rambi is offline Rambi  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABO
It is impossible to say beforehand if this amp will work.
This is an amp from Elektor magazine called hexfet amp. The problem with this amp is stability. It may, or may not be stable. The designers never figured out why it does work in one case and not in another.
Not only difficult to get stable in the sense of not oscillating, but also in DC offset. I built one (channel) of these and couldn't get the offset stable; it would 'jump' up and down and personally I don't like an amplifier that does that .
At least it didn't oscillate in my case.

If you like this 'kind' of amplifier (symmetric, mosfet output) maybe you should take a look at the cresendo ME
Problems with Crescendo ME - Need help!

A more thoughtful design, also from elektor, with a servo to keep DC offset within limits (some people don't like that either though).
Sound is supposedly OK, but I can't really comment on that since I never built/heard one.

Quote:
I have its higher power brother with IGBT's instead of hexfets. This amp has the same stabitlity problems!
Probably because it is the exact same design with IGBTs instead of mosfets

This amp was mentioned earlier on this forum as well, see
a MOSFET amp scheme

And the IGBT version too:

oscillation problem

Remco
Old 31st January 2004, 03:55 PM   #7
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

depends, the basic topology could work ok with some changes for high frequency compensation

the pcb layout you point to sucks

so if you have a >100MHz 'scope and enough knowledge to cure the high frequency problems you may encounter with this design and you are capable of doing your own layout/prototype with good power, ground and RF practice - you wouldn't have to ask

bottom line, look elsewhere for a less problematic design
Old 31st January 2004, 04:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ojg
I have a feeling this amplifier will not work... The drain and source of Q12 need to be switched around.
I see no reason for the amplifier do not work...the output stage is a regular compound complementar feedback pair where the output devices are Mos-Fets. (nothing new under the sun!!)
Old 31st January 2004, 06:40 PM   #9
ojg is offline ojg
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tube_Dude

I see no reason for the amplifier do not work...the output stage is a regular compound complementar feedback pair where the output devices are Mos-Fets. (nothing new under the sun!!)
Hmmm, you may be right. I was confused by the drawing of Q12, usually the gate "lead" is drawn towards the source, like in Q13. As long as Vgs is 2V for both Q12 and Q13 it should be fine.
Old 1st February 2004, 08:59 AM   #10
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default 11.

Hi Mindaugas,

Nice to see you here! How the hell are you? Finished your new home?

I recognize this as the Elektor circuit too. I have built a couple of Elektors, notably the Crescendo and one other from Giesberts. All these amps had small, niggling problems.

First, it is over complex. Much more than it needs to be. (Per-Anders, I'm looking at you.......... grin!) Redolent with CCS and complementary input and VAS stages.

Second, instability problems are likely coming from the CFP output stage. My advice would be small mica caps, around 100pF, across the base/collector of Q10 and Q11. You might also lower gain of the driver by inserting a 0R47 source resistor in line with F1 and F2; this reduces feedback factor across the CFP.

Generally, CFPs don't work well in Class AB - they really prefer Class A.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hide this!Advertise here!