Acoustat TNT 120 amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2015, 01:15 AM   #1
blgtrio is offline blgtrio  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustat TNT 120 amp

I wanted to ask anyone familiar with the Acoustat TNT 120 amplifier a question about the two fuses that are mounted as you look at the inside of the amp from front to back, these two fuses are mounted about 1/3 of the way from the left side (not on the circuit board near the output devices) of the amp about 1/2 inch from each other one fuse is above the other fuse. The fuse holder wiring on one end goes to the power cord and the other fuse holder wiring goes to the big yellow transformers in the front middle of the amp. The right channel went out this evening so I checked the fuses and was surprised to see 32 volt 5 amp slow blo fuses in the place I mentioned. Is this the right value fuse? I have never seen a 32 volt fuse before. One of the 32 volt fuses seems a little discolored. Unfortunately I don't have a volt meter so I can't check them. I wanted to ask what value fuse could I substitute that would be safe without doing any further harm to the amp? The 250 volt 5 amp slow blo fuses on the circuit board seem fine with no signs of being blown. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 14th March 2015, 02:38 AM   #2
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgtrio View Post
The right channel went out this evening so I checked the fuses and was surprised
to see 32 volt 5 amp slow blo fuses in the place I mentioned.
They may be 32V DC rated fuses.
Old 14th March 2015, 01:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes these are DC rated fuses and should not be used for fusing AC service lines. First off it is unlikely that these DC rated fuses will provide the same 5A of protection when used in an AC application. From the manfacturer's info I have seen a DC rated fuse will typically open at a higher AC current than the DC rating shows. In addition the lower voltage rating can be a problem at the higher AC voltages. There are dual AC/DC rated fuses out there, but they seem to be few and far between. For the incoming mains AC and transformer primary fuses, you will want to install some 250VAC rated fuses in the appropriate amperage rating. On the secondary side of the transformer most manufacturers I have seen also used AC rated fuses, ie. on the DC rail fuses.
Old 14th March 2015, 01:50 PM   #4
blgtrio is offline blgtrio  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustat TNT 120

Thank you rayma and Chamberman for your replys.
Old 15th March 2015, 04:44 AM   #5
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

32V fuses for line voltage pass huge amounts of current as the element turns into a metal vapor cloud (and turn black).

The ceramic fuses have a powder inside to quench this arc.

MDA 5A Slow-Blow Ceramic Fuse 5 Amp 250v

Hide this!Advertise here!