Worst SS amp ever???? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2015, 01:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking Worst SS amp ever????

I've posted this as a sort of joke. I made this amplifier when I was about 14 years old! Remarkably the loudspeaker survived, but I suspect it was impaired somewhat. I'm not sure what the voltage was on the collector perhaps someone can estimate.

I used that same 2n3055 on a heatsink, pulled from some junk in the local scrapyard, for so many projects at that time!

If you have any other ridiculous amplifier circuits that you built at high school or whenever please share here.
Attached Images
File Type: png worlds worst amplifier.png (26.9 KB, 1029 views)
Old 7th March 2015, 01:34 PM   #2
sbrads is offline sbrads  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

100k? I doubt it ever troubled the speaker with any current to speak of. 1k and it might have done something. My first own design home brew was at that age - it motor-boated like the clappers.
Old 7th March 2015, 01:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrads View Post
100k? I doubt it ever troubled the speaker with any current to speak of. 1k and it might have done something. My first own design home brew was at that age - it motor-boated like the clappers.
He he

The 100k was just a guess as I forget the actual value, it must have been lower

It did work for a little while, until I started to smell burning!

Gordon.
Old 7th March 2015, 02:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A slightly better one from my high school days.

Cross over distortion at the high frequencies must have been terrible!
Attached Images
File Type: png AD161-AD162 AMP.png (43.6 KB, 913 views)

Last edited by gasboss775; 7th March 2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 7th March 2015, 03:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The Sinclair Z30: my worst nightmare!
Sounded pretty good even without the recommended additional heatsink (I was 15) until it burnt which scared me to death.
Soldering iron was confiscated and I was grounded for months for starting a fire in my room.
I learnt my lessons: (1) always use plenty of heatsink and (2) never use a cardboard box as container.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z30.jpg (80.2 KB, 842 views)
Old 8th March 2015, 01:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The first amp I ever got working started as an item at Radio Shack consisting of 5 transistors and a schematic. I found out later that RS would buy untested reject transistors and resell them in these kits. There must have been at least one bad transistor because the thing ran really hot powered by a 24V 1.2A transformer that also came from the Shack. You could only leave it on for 5 or 10 minutes but during that time it made a glorious sound.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Radio_Shack_Amp.GIF (73.9 KB, 748 views)
Old 8th March 2015, 01:20 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I remember a Heathkit amp. Turns out I'm somewhat color blind, and it took a tech over 8 hours to make it work after I 'built' it. I learned to measure all my resistors after that.
Old 8th March 2015, 06:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplesset View Post
I remember a Heathkit amp. Turns out I'm somewhat color blind, and it took a tech over 8 hours to make it work after I 'built' it. I learned to measure all my resistors after that.
He he

I now check resistors as a matter of course as the colors vary considerably between different brands in my opinion, do others find this problem or am I developing colourblindness?
Old 8th March 2015, 06:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I built my first working amplifier when I was 10 years old. It was a four transistor circuit straight out of 1959. It used the first PC board I ever made. It was awful.

I found it a couple of years ago, and powered it up just for fun. It still works! But it sounds truly terrible.

Even when I was 10, I yearned for something better. By the time I was 14, I had created a pentode output ultralinear masterpiece. I wish I still had it today, but it got stolen (along with my CA3140 based home built preamp) when I was at university.
Old 8th March 2015, 07:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie D View Post
I built my first working amplifier when I was 10 years old. It was a four transistor circuit straight out of 1959. It used the first PC board I ever made. It was awful.
The fact that you were able to build a working amplifier at 10 is remarkable, irrespective of quality!

Any chance of a photo and / or a schematic diagram? Did you design it or was it a kit?

Gordon.

Hide this!Advertise here!