Good sound, what is it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was inspired by Pbassred post about "Why no MOSFETs?" so I decided to write since I think it is an interesting topic what sounds "good", as far as I have noticed for instance there are some people on this board that build there own very fast and accurate amplifiers and I'm thinking of current feedback amps primarily but those aren't liked by every one here on this board....

I imagine that most people are used to listen to amplifiers that actually distorts somehow, most amplifier use to have a broad low distorting frequency band in the lower end but because of the architecture, speed etc. inside the amp distortion will either rise in the tweeter area and/or in combination have different type of “colouring”, might that be the answer?!
I mean that an amplifier with little bit of pleasant THD etc actually could sound "warmer" "comfortable" etc<=.

But It's scaring when we can set up a Hi-Fi system that has a total low inherent distortion all the way from the music medium to the loudspeaker, a such precision that the equipment can reveal small unpleasant things that might never been heard before and when reaching such an overall low distorted, accurate audio system it's starts to be possible to judge the recording, the source of the very first beginning where the sound was picked up.

It could mean that it can be actually boring and irritating when the equipment reach such an accuracy so we are able to discover bad recordings without any presence of “warmth” that cover the truth, and able to reveal if one single minor component in the audio chain would be replaced with something of less audio qualities, perhaps by a cable (which I still doubt in I have to admit but which could be explained that I haven’t been able to participate in such a test<=).
But if the recording is exceptional it is a fantastic experience to listen to such a Hi-Fi system.

Well, I wont make too much claim of all said, but it's worthwhile.

BTW (probably mostly interesting for our Swedish/Nordic visitors on this board), I have never forgotten a very nice experience of a very well sounding but also extremely accurate sound reproducing system when I was personally invited by Engineer Ingvar Öhman to his home in Täby north of Stockholm around 1990 listen to his PI60 loudspeakers!

Ingvar has written among audio related subjects lot about "psycho-acoustic", a subject that many should dig in to a little bit some time in the understanding of our ears and why some sounds sound more pleasant and others not, amplifiers aren't the weakest link but it's easy to make them to "colorize", especially valves...
(Almost forgotten to mention, I actually have some kind of a Hiraga DIY valve amp and I have to admit it’s a very pleasant sound in it’s own way in that small thing I happen to have! (just some simple ECL82 valve if somebody's wondering<=))

Cheers! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.