Need your help to get started (newbie) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2015, 08:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need your help to get started (newbie)

So im wanting to experiment with DIY audio amp kits (ebay or other suggested) i've been looking at alot of kit and well dont know witch would best suit my needs .

I'm also a newbie here. I have electronic experience but not as extravagant as most of you guys on here. (this is why i subscribed).

I have a set of custom made speaker , they are three way , BI-amped highs with dual 12" subs in the box also . All the drives are externally crossover-ed with a active x-over system .

I want to build 2 nice amp box that sits on top of each speaker . Each box needs 3 amps (channels) inside . roughly 100 x 2 and the subs need closer 400 to 500 watts. both drivers are 8 ohms and the subs are 4 ohms each (i have them in parallel right now)

the Amp kit needs to be relatively easy to build and doesn't need any special tools to set up and stuff . I'm open from old school transistor to tube to digital amps as well . There high amps need to be of quality and very low distortion . the subs amp i was leaning towards Class D amps ....

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated

thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 09:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sounds like you need ready built and tested kit.
There are loads on ebay.
Old 26th February 2015, 11:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

hey thanks nigelwright7557, ya I am looking at those ebay kits for sure , but i am unsure witch or what to chose . I am looking at one i particular is the LJM L12-2 they are mono boards so i would have to buy 4 total for the highs . I dont mind tackling a un-assembled board (i am confident at soldering ) its just the set up part .. Do I need a scope and other tool for every build ???

And then the sub amp would it be ok to use a classD board ... I would imagine if I used 2 different boards im going to need 2 separate power supplies??
Old 27th February 2015, 01:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Are the LJM L12-2 boards capable to be bridged together ?
Old 27th February 2015, 03:46 PM   #5
JohanH is offline JohanH  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Would something like Hypex UCD or NCore be something for you?
They are ready build amplifier modules and PSU that you would have to connect and put in the cases of your choice

Also: what is your budget?
Old 27th February 2015, 04:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I would suggest learning how to match transistors and mosfets early on. I doubt these inexpensive kits have closely matched pairs.. The kits would probably work well with proper mods and implementation..
Old 27th February 2015, 04:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

JohanH, thanks for the info and ya the Hypex stuff is realy nice and probably what i need but out of my budget for sure. Of course i want to build a good setup, but i need to do it as cheaply as possible .I am going to build my own cases (i have the material and skill of that) but keep in mind this would be my first amp build so I dont want to sink to much cash right now . this is why i am hopping for good suggestion on a DIY kit that is of good sound quality and easiest to build.

there are kit out there that are 2.1 channels Class D but i'm afraid the sound quality is not there + I haven't really found anything that's suits my power needs . this one is close but ishh i dont know..
STA508 TC2000 2 1CH Class D AMP 2 80W 160W Amplifier Board Beyond TPA3116 | eBay
Old 27th February 2015, 04:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I've read LJM's amp kits and designs are pretty good right out of the box on this site ,but of course lots of you guys are modding them too.

LiquidMids, I do actualy have a few matching sets of 2sc5200 Transistors (IIRC Toshiba) at home Out of Behringer EP2500 that i was going to repair , but it was just to much wrong and out of my league to repair . I just haven't found any use for them and i am not at the point to build a amp from scratch yet .

thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 01:32 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you feel you can build the modules check out the Slewmaster thread. It is long and with quite a few designs, but most of the 'final' versions have been built. I have posted the gerbers for the layouts I have done that makes getting professionally made boards a possibility.
Old 28th February 2015, 02:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

thanks jkuetemann I will look into that Slewmaster thread . I just read and looked at the Honeybadger amp sticky and looks very interesting, would anybody recommend this for a first build ?? I like the fact that theres a full detailed guide for it . Apparently looks like I could substitute the output transistors for 2sc5200 .....

Hide this!Advertise here!