CF-FET V2.0 front-end - going high-tech (SMD)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rather interesting observation

I have compared the Shuntie's regulation efficiency with IRFP9240 and IRF610 transistors (in simulation).

Ingesting 50mv ripple at the input (70V rails), I have at the output:
- IRFP9240 - 400nV;
- IRF9610 - 1500nV.

The reason is the difference in their Rds(on):
- IRFP9240 = 0.38R (up to 0.5R);
- IRF9610 = up to 3R.

Well, both results are very good. But the first one is slightly better :)

I think, TL431 and zeners are also available in SMT...
These have been available for a long time now. I like/try to use/search for parts in 50miil soic,sot-23, sod-123 packages, if they are avail. for passive R, i try to use 0805/1206/1210 etc for these types of designs. Susumu are nice thin film R parts to use.
i read that the onsemi tl431 has the lowest noise of all the mfgs.
Thanks for the info - I will be in Las Vegas 10-17 April (presenting at NAB Show) - going to use the occasion and arrange delivery to the hotel
Enjoy your trip and show/conference !! What are you presenting? It is the national assoc of Broadcasters?
Any problem with declaring parts with the immigration officers? Just hand them the load of paper they send with the orders, it is unbelievable how much paper they send with the orders.
Do you have a good soldering iron for flowing solder around the SMT FETs?
A very small chisel tip works for sot-23. for d(2)pak, you can use a bigger hotter iron.i use a 10x jewelers loup for inspection

Last edited:
Nice job soldering the SMT devices. All oriented the same way and right side up, even. I would like to know more about the jelly flux. That sounds useful.

Do you have a good soldering iron for flowing solder around the SMT FETs?

--Russell

Hi Russell,

I use the German flux paste - see the picture. Something pretty similar in Mouser stock:
>NO CLEAN FLUX PASTE<

With regards to the FETs - good point. I think, I will have to remove a couple of the output plugs to be able to use some lower angle while soldering them, just to have more "massive" contact with the iron. I use a regulated-temperature iron, so normally, if I slightly increase it - it's enough for soldering such "areas".

Cheers,
Valery

Attachments

• DSC03846.JPG
    DSC03846.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 357
These have been available for a long time now. I like/try to use/search for parts in 50miil soic,sot-23, sod-123 packages, if they are avail. for passive R, i try to use 0805/1206/1210 etc for these types of designs. Susumu are nice thin film R parts to use.
i read that the onsemi tl431 has the lowest noise of all the mfgs.
Good to know - thank you ;)

Enjoy your trip and show/conference !! What are you presenting? It is the national assoc of Broadcasters?
Any problem with declaring parts with the immigration officers? Just hand them the load of paper they send with the orders, it is unbelievable how much paper they send with the orders.
Yes, this is exactly the National Association of Broadcasters. I am a video-encoding equipment developer and manufacturer - noisypeak. Five international partners are showing our products - have to oversee how it goes and support them in the meetings when necessary. Actually, I was not going to participate NAB show this year - preparing to the next year show - but too many companies are willing to show our gear, so it was the "last minute" decision to go :) Although, I like to be in Vegas from time to time - no complains :p

A very small chisel tip works for sot-23. for d(2)pak, you can use a bigger hotter iron.i use a 10x jewelers loup for inspection

I have also got a pretty good loup, the bigger iron - would be good to have for bigger parts, will probably buy one soon.

Cheers,
Valery

Attachments

• DSC03848.JPG
    DSC03848.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 344
Thank you for the feedback.

What changes would you recommend if the OPS is to be changed to N-channel Mosfets only? Thanks.

Hi Sam, it's possible to modify the OPS for N-channel only - I will drop the schematic update - but it will slightly suffer from additional distortion - not too much though, as the front-end is a relatively high loop gain one.

Cheers,
Valery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.