Texas Instrument chip on Pioneer VSX-921-K AV receiver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2015, 09:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Texas Instrument chip on Pioneer VSX-921-K AV receiver

Give us a help guys I'm trying to find out if this chip is faulty or not. It has test points around it but I'm self taught engineer and.....ok I'm just dumb. HELP!!

Its dirty around it because I put flux and heat up but I'm not even sure if the chip works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1111.JPG (494.8 KB, 128 views)
Old 25th February 2015, 09:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I can see the test points on the circuit board. Has anyone got any ideas at all? willing to try anything pretty much!!

it has no sound from analogue or digital or stereo or surround. but boots perfectly normally

looks like the amp section works perfect, well the left channel does. I attached my phone to left channel input to the amp section directly and one speaker. It worked but was low volume. the volume on the amp iself had no effect on sound nor did any source selections or surround modes. normal cd input still did not work.

looks like the issue is from input to the amp section. so from the input board to hdmi board.

any suggestions guys?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9706.jpg (247.0 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9708.jpg (376.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9710.jpg (237.8 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9714.jpg (287.8 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9715.jpg (359.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 2nd March 2015, 08:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

anyone?
Old 2nd March 2015, 08:07 PM   #4
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

This is an amplifier building forum, that chip is not likely to be familiar to anyone. Even it if was, you'd want to have some familiarity with the circuit too. And if that chip isn't working you'd need special equipment to remove it and replace it. Looks like a dead-end to me.

But you've got a nice power transformer, heatsink and some amplifier parts for some future DIY.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 2nd March 2015, 08:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Old 2nd March 2015, 08:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

but it has test points do you know how to test?
Old 2nd March 2015, 08:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
IC's with the 9 prefix are normally associated with power supplies. I cannot find the BGA chip you ask about in my service manual.
Please send more information.
Flux and heat will only damage BGA chips as the PCB must be heated at the same time to 10degrees less than melting temperature of the type of solder used.
Old 2nd March 2015, 08:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

IC's with the 9 prefix are normally associated with power supplies.

i have no idea what that means. Its extremely hard to find any information on this chip i have looked. just generally spekaing if it has test points whats is suppose to show. i tried volt meter and got zilch!
Old 2nd March 2015, 11:22 PM   #9
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

This document (cached version here) lists it as a TI DSP, which would fit with the application you found it in.

The part number seems to be D810K013BZKB400.

It's apparently a custom chip based on one of TI's DSP models.
Since it bears the dolby and dts logos, it's very likely not much more than a DSP core, pre-packaged with special software.

A sensible approach would be to look up TI's DSP portfolio and match some pre-2011 DPS models according to IC package, pinout, etc.

Regarding debugging, since this device runs it's own software, it's probably best to treat it like a computer processor. Does it boot?

Cheers,
Sebastian.

PS: Coincidentally the IC shows up in this list of chips affected by a 'premature aging issue'...

Last edited by sek; 2nd March 2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 3rd March 2015, 12:00 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

There's a Dolby DTS symbol in the middle of the chip. 5.1 surround decoder chip?

Hide this!Advertise here!