Texas Instrument chip on Pioneer VSX-921-K AV receiver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Give us a help guys I'm trying to find out if this chip is faulty or not. It has test points around it but I'm self taught engineer and.....ok I'm just dumb. HELP!!

Its dirty around it because I put flux and heat up but I'm not even sure if the chip works.

Attachments

• 1111.JPG
    1111.JPG
    494.8 KB · Views: 1,413
I can see the test points on the circuit board. Has anyone got any ideas at all? willing to try anything pretty much!!

it has no sound from analogue or digital or stereo or surround. but boots perfectly normally

looks like the amp section works perfect, well the left channel does. I attached my phone to left channel input to the amp section directly and one speaker. It worked but was low volume. the volume on the amp iself had no effect on sound nor did any source selections or surround modes. normal cd input still did not work.

looks like the issue is from input to the amp section. so from the input board to hdmi board.

any suggestions guys?

Attachments

• IMG_9706.jpg
    IMG_9706.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_9708.jpg
    IMG_9708.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_9710.jpg
    IMG_9710.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_9714.jpg
    IMG_9714.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 656
  • IMG_9715.jpg
    IMG_9715.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 729
This is an amplifier building forum, that chip is not likely to be familiar to anyone. Even it if was, you'd want to have some familiarity with the circuit too. And if that chip isn't working you'd need special equipment to remove it and replace it. Looks like a dead-end to me.

But you've got a nice power transformer, heatsink and some amplifier parts for some future DIY.

IC's with the 9 prefix are normally associated with power supplies.

i have no idea what that means. Its extremely hard to find any information on this chip i have looked. just generally spekaing if it has test points whats is suppose to show. i tried volt meter and got zilch!

This document (cached version here) lists it as a TI DSP, which would fit with the application you found it in.

The part number seems to be D810K013BZKB400.

It's apparently a custom chip based on one of TI's DSP models.
Since it bears the dolby and dts logos, it's very likely not much more than a DSP core, pre-packaged with special software.

A sensible approach would be to look up TI's DSP portfolio and match some pre-2011 DPS models according to IC package, pinout, etc.

Regarding debugging, since this device runs it's own software, it's probably best to treat it like a computer processor. Does it boot?

Cheers,
Sebastian.

PS: Coincidentally the IC shows up in this list of chips affected by a 'premature aging issue'...

Last edited:
i tried volt meter and got zilch!

If you are looking to debug this thing by measuring voltages on test points then I don't think you are going to get that far. There's only so much you can do with a voltmeter on an ic like this. You would need some expensive and advanced test gear and a lot of knowledge and experience. Even that may not be enough. This is why consumer electronics do not get repaired easily - even replacing the whole pcb with a new one is often not worth the time and cost.

This document (cached version here) lists it as a TI DSP, which would fit with the application you found it in.

The part number seems to be D810K013BZKB400.

It's apparently a custom chip based on one of TI's DSP models.
Since it bears the dolby and dts logos, it's very likely not much more than a DSP core, pre-packaged with special software.

A sensible approach would be to look up TI's DSP portfolio and match some pre-2011 DPS models according to IC package, pinout, etc.

Regarding debugging, since this device runs it's own software, it's probably best to treat it like a computer processor. Does it boot?

Cheers,
Sebastian.

PS: Coincidentally the IC shows up in this list of chips affected by a 'premature aging issue'...

Hi Sebastian,

you are right my chip does seem to be in the list. so my chip is dead then? i know onkyo had similar issue but they were older and still did not die that easily. if i could hold of the chip you think replacing directly would work? or is there compatible model? cheers h

i did have a look today and still getting nowhere. i did manage to find fl-out from the dsp board and it had no signal. its either the dsp/hdmi board or the 7.1 channel audio board with this chip on it bd3473ks2.

im starting to think that its not the hdmi board mainly because when put amp in direct mode it by-passes the dsp stuff. but i could be wrong.

Is there a signal going into the dsp but no signal(s) coming out of it?
If so, the DSP could simply have stopped working.

I'm not aware of any replacement, since these custom licensed parts aren't available separately.
Your best bet might be to salvage another unit with a known-good DSP board.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

Normally manufacturers are putting test points for the programming, 4 test pads suggest the BDM mode (+5,Reset,GND,BDM). I just to do Motorola processors this way.
If you are sure bga connections are faulty you can heat the pcb with preheater from underneath an reflow the bga chip with good flux (not cheap amtech stuff).
Some of mask-sets of the processors are aging and there is nothing you can do in this case.

As sek suggested the fastest/easiest/cheapest way is to do swap from good unit and test it.

thanks for advice but dont have another unit :(

I cant say for sure the sound going into the unit is good past this chip bd3473ks2.

I cant seem to make heads nor tails from the service manual.

Attachments

• New-Original-BD3473KS2-7-1ch-Sound-Processors-with-Built-in-Mode-and-Input-Selectors-BD3473KSZ-I.jpg
    New-Original-BD3473KS2-7-1ch-Sound-Processors-with-Built-in-Mode-and-Input-Selectors-BD3473KSZ-I.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 293
Start with the basics - look for voltage regulators and check their output (or look for suitable voltage test points, check there, and proceed to look for the reg if necessary). The HDMI boards on a number of Onkyo models are quite notorious for dried-out electrolytics and also failed voltage regulators (maybe as a consequence), for example. I presume they are getting quite hot by themselves and are placed in just about the warmest spot to boot.

As so often in life, big things often hinge on small things that can go wrong.

Start with the basics - look for voltage regulators and check their output (or look for suitable voltage test points, check there, and proceed to look for the reg if necessary). The HDMI boards on a number of Onkyo models are quite notorious for dried-out electrolytics and also failed voltage regulators (maybe as a consequence), for example. I presume they are getting quite hot by themselves and are placed in just about the warmest spot to boot.

As so often in life, big things often hinge on small things that can go wrong.

Ya, I recently repaired a av amp by using a heat gun over the board to find the faulty part. i couldnt believe it when I found 2 faulty caps supplying voltage to a strange 6 pin motorola regulator. replace that and its been working perfectly since! I was so happy with myself :)

But this amp I feel is more serious!.....I will investigate and report back

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.