Luxman R-104 FM Logic

Someone gave me a Luxman R-104 receiver as partial payment for fixing some of his other equipment. He said it worked and it does; except the tuner does not remember any stations when the unit is turned off.

I looked for the usual culprit - a small battery by the logic chip. I saw what I thought was the battery but it is a capacitor. I think this is the precursor to the "supercapacitors" of today; it is rated "0.047 F / 5.5 volts." In other words, 47000 uF/5.5 volts.

I cannot access this part of the board without practically taking it out, so I put it aside. I guess I will solder test leads to the board and see what's up. But I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this problem; I'm thinking it's pretty much a slam dunk to just replace this capacitor and restore the memory function.

So my question is, am I being too optimistic? Does anyone have any experience with this? Logic circuits in receivers is something I really don't know much about; I am capable of making only the basic checks. I'm all over everything else.

I can't find service literature for this unit. I know it's not one of the sought after Luxman units, but it is really nice - a pleasant surprise. It lacks nothing, except high output power.

So thanks for reading this.

They were more common in Japan initially than here.

I've heard that sometimes units manufactured for Japanese markets were better than what was marketed in the US. I've heard that a lot of units were only marketed outside of Japan; the "inferior" units.

I do subcontracting for Japanese people here in the US. They are certainly obsessed with excellence in everything. They don't mind paying for it either. Some people bombed working for them; I like it (and they like me too).

Joined 2011
I've heard that sometimes units manufactured for Japanese markets were better than what was marketed in the US.
I've heard that a lot of units were only marketed outside of Japan; the "inferior" units.
I do subcontracting for Japanese people here in the US. They are certainly obsessed with excellence in everything.
They don't mind paying for it either. Some people bombed working for them; I like it (and they like me too).

That's possible, like Italy keeping the best wine and exporting the rest to us to enthuse over.
I've worked with a fair number of Japanese engineers from various large corporations for a long time.
It's a good sign when they trust and respect you.

It's a good sign when they trust and respect you.

It's a cultural thing. A lot of Americans don't get the Japanese. They seem rude by American standards. Once you get to know them, they treat you very well if they like you. They don't tolerate people they don't like. They threw my buddy under the bus. But they like me and I want to keep it that way. They're really nice once they decide you're OK.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard that sometimes units manufactured for Japanese markets were better than what was marketed in the US. I've heard that a lot of units were only marketed outside of Japan; the "inferior" units.

I do subcontracting for Japanese people here in the US. They are certainly obsessed with excellence in everything. They don't mind paying for it either. Some people bombed working for them; I like it (and they like me too).
That is true - Products made for Japan were far Superior in Quality to those made for Export. This was mostly during the '80s and late '70s and before that Japan was like the cheap Chinese stuff we see today but there are now some Chinese products that are improving so let's see how it goes in the future.