help identifying kit amp my late father built - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2015, 07:46 AM   #1
Hook is offline Hook  United States
diyAudio Member

Default help identifying kit amp my late father built

My late father built a pair of single channel audio amps in the 1970's, my recollection is that they were 100 watts each. One amp had developed a loud crackling noise long ago and have been in a drawer for decades. I am hoping to get them repaired if it is not tremendously expensive. I remember they sounded very good through the enormous transmission line speakers he built. I imagine to get them repaired I will need to identify what type they are and obtain circuit diagrams for a technician to use. Can anyone identify or suggest a way to identify them? Thanks in advance.

Jim

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 16th February 2015, 07:59 AM   #2
Bone is offline Bone  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Sorry Hook, your picture is not loading.
Old 16th February 2015, 09:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, you seem to have linked to it through a facebook page ?!?
Old 16th February 2015, 11:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You can upload pics directly ('Manage attachments', under the reply text box) to the diyaudio server if they are the appropriate file size and format.
This ensures that the pics will 'live on' here after other picture hosting sites close down, subscriptions lapse, etc. .

BTW, a good tech person probably won't need a schematic unless the circuits are complicated/unusual.
Old 17th February 2015, 12:50 AM   #5
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook View Post
My late father built a pair of single channel audio amps in the 1970's, my recollection is that they were 100 watts each.
One amp had developed a loud crackling noise long ago and have been in a drawer for decades. I am hoping to get them
repaired if it is not tremendously expensive.
Any chance the name "Southwest Technical Universal Tiger" comes to mind?
Old 17th February 2015, 01:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes a Southwest Tiger; but there is at least 2 versions; a better pic from top will help.
Built some long, long time ago.
Old 17th February 2015, 02:01 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Since you're in the U.S. we'll start by assuming these are U.S.-designed products, rather than a design from (say) Wireless World, Elektor, or other overseas magazine.

Please try to attach a decent photo. Any kind of identification on the printed wiring boards may also be helpful - even if it's just an abbreviated model number, or a manufacturing date code.

How much of a "kit" are these amplifiers? In the early 70's, Heathkit and Eico were still selling kits with cases and front panels that could pass for commercially manufactured equipment. Southwest Technical Products (and, in the late 70's, offerings from Audio Amateur magazine) were sometimes only a bag of parts plus a schematic or copy of a magazine article - the builder was on his own to wrap some kind of case or chassis around the circuitry.

Dale
Old 17th February 2015, 02:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Look like SWTP tiger's to me as well. My father built a pair of the Tiger .01's and the 198/A preamp back in the early 70's too. Here is a link to the literature on them.
Old 17th February 2015, 03:07 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Here it is a link to DiyAudio thread about the Tiger amplifier. also have a link to the schematic.
link:Universal Tiger
Old 17th February 2015, 04:19 AM   #10
djoffe is offline djoffe  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's a link to the original construction article from Popular Electronics of long ago:

http://www.updatemydynaco.com/Histor...ersalTiger.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!