Thule Spirit IA100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2015, 06:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Thule Spirit IA100

I have recently acquired at a very good price a broken Thule Spirit IA100.

There is significant heat damage around a couple 3 watt resistors. It has damaged the PCB and some traces, and of course some components. While this is not out of my ability to repair, it may be too labor intensive to try. At this point I am going to try knowing that if I decide not to, I still come out ahead as there are some very good parts here. A very solid and heavy chassis, two large heat sinks, a large transformer with dual secondaries, and many gold plated input / output connectors and such. I can build a very good amp out of most of this, if it comes to that.

There was obviously a LOT of current through these components (as evidenced by the char and smoke smell), but curiously none of the safety features that are supposed to prevent this outcome worked, namely the fuses, they are all well intact. Go figure.

I am not sure what failed and caused this, I suspect caps or perhaps a stuck relay.

After repairing the PCB and traces, I am planning on replacing (along with the damaged components) all of the electrolytics. Perhaps with the exception of the 4 10,000u 63v caps. I will test these and see, but replacing them is perhaps the most expensive of the parts needed. I want to see if this thing is beyond repair or not before I invest in those.

The power output transistors consist of 4 pairs of 2SA1633/2SC4278. I don't believe these are bad but replacing them is about $10 or so EACH. As these are obsolete parts I was wondering if there were a more current plug in combo that would work just as well and be available at much more reasonable prices, not to mention at more trustworthy outlets should I choose to do so in the future? Like perhaps the TTA1943/TTC5200 ?
Old 6th February 2015, 06:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I forgot to attach the GIF schematic.
Attached Images
File Type: gif THULE.GIF (57.3 KB, 29 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!