Creek 4140s2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #1
erbster is offline erbster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Creek 4140s2

Hello,

I have resurrected my old Creek 4140s2, bought in 1989 and which has much sentimental value. I have been running it through headphones only since bringing it down from the loft and found that the channel levels "wander" in and out and there seems to be some distortion. I opened it up and gave everything a clean, squirted servisol into the pots and switches and so on. I have now tried it with speakers and it seems fine (well, at low volume anyway). So what appears to be an amplifier which has "gone bad in the loft" (>10 years) could easily have had a fault with the headphone circuit for a long time (never used with headphones until now).

Sorry for the rather rambling intro. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this might be fixed. I am competent with a soldering iron, but have no experience in repairing electronic devices. Thank-you
Old Today, 03:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You may not find a schematic on the 'net but there are some details of a common fault here: Creek 4140 S2 schematic wanted
Although the amplifier is not all that old, a recapping would not hurt, along with the usual remedy for this model, which is re-flowing all solder joints, as mentioned in the thread.

If the relay cover is removable, (the cover will be clipped over the base moulding and needs careful levering if it is) the contacts should be wiped clean with stiff paper dipped in solvent (such as IPA, alcohol or contact cleaner) and pressed between the contacts to make sure of a thorough job.

Hide this!Advertise here!