Help a noob out- NAD3020 and system compatability questions :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings DIY community,

I am an enthusiastic (but rather uneducated) audio enthusiast and have a few questions regarding the NAD3020 integrated amp (as well as a host of system comparability questions). My current sound system (which consists entirely of recycling center/ garage sale and classified sourced parts) consists of a NAD3020 integrated amp, a Hitachi Direct drive TT, a pair of 3 way floor standers and a 10" Richter krakatoa sub.

Over the next year or so I want to build a 3 way Synergy horn/ tapped horn active system for my house that will use an active crossover- I'm anticipating that I will be using a mini DSP for this. Given this, I want to dip my toes into the world of DSP as well as speaker testing with the UMIK now, so that I have a bit more experience to draw on down the track.

So my question is this, can I use my NAD3020 pre amp out to feed an analog signal into a mini dsp to act as a crossover between my floor standers and my sub? If I can do this, can I then feed one output of the DSP back into the NAD amp (the 'normal in') to power the floor standers? The NAD amp has 2 small U shaped jumpers that connect the Pre amp out and 'Normal In'. Essentially I would be inserting the DSP here. The other output from the DSP would go to the plate amp of the sub.

So my sources are Vinyl and Digital. If the mini DSP is going to work in the above scenario, It then makes sense for me to get the Minidigi so I can connect my mac directly to it using the Toslink optical cable. That way I would be able to use my phone or my wife could use her ipad to control the music too.

I actually have 2 NAD3020 amps so if using one of the as a Pre means that the amplification section of the unit is disabled, would I be right in thinking I could just use the second as my amp for the floor standers?

Ok last bit I promise! In terms of volume control, I am guessing that because the inputs both have their own volume control (phono on the amp and Digital on the computer) that the only way I could have an overall system volume control would be through the DSP itself?

Thanks for your patience if you got to here. I'd really appreciate your help on this one.

Cheers,
Mark

My NAD3020 passed on some years ago, but, from memory, everything you have described will be possible.

The jumpers are there for that reason - completely separating the "pre" from the "amp". The volume control is in the pre.

Search for NAD 3020 and you'll get the schematic easily.

Nice clear post, BTW!

Good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.