Adcom GFA-2 recap....should I replace rectifiers/snubber caps???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Replacing all electrolytic caps, adding real RCA jacks, binding posts and an IEC plug with ground.

For those of you not familiar with the GFA-2, it is a dual mono amplifier. It currently has (4) 1N5402 diodes forming a bridge rectifier for each channel. Each diode is snubbed with a .01uf/500v ceramic cap. Would there be any significant gains from updating the diodes and maybe some polypropylene film caps for the snubbers? Keep suggestions to individual diodes if possible. These are soldered into the board and I don't really want to extend the transformer wires.

Anyone with further info on low cost updates please thrown in your ideas.

I'll be ordering from Mouser because I get next day delivery for ground pricing. They're only about 60 miles from me.

Thanks,

James

Yes, and the resistor is the critical part.

The ringing that occurs due to diode fast turn off will be passed on to the load through the capacitor across thye diode.

For knowing how to do it, there is a thread here.
Search word snubber should do it, I think.

Gajanan Phadte

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.