Looking for Battery Wiring for Diagram for NEW class A DCA33 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2015, 03:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for Battery Wiring for Diagram for NEW class A DCA33

So I have yet another project to complete now, I was given a NEW class A DCA 33 amp that is strictly battery powered and had to rebuild the battery box for the new batteries I have been given(which sadly are the wrong value, 12Ah instead of 24Ah).

The batteries overheated in the original box and completely destroyed it... it occurred to me that this is a fatal design flaw as the batteries charge on their sides and are in a completely air tight box with insulating foam around them, now who's bright idea was this?

Anyways I ended up scraping the old box and discarding the old batteries but also made my own dumb move and forgot to make a wiring diagram... go figures... some of the wires were rotted almost to nothing, but still.

I have a new smaller box built that will have proper ventillation, I just need to know how to wire them back up. Their are four wires coming out of the amp with a sh*tty little connector that I will be also replacing.

Help very much appreciated guys!
Old 14th January 2015, 12:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

AFAIK, DCA33 is one of Nelson Pass's designs. It would seem a good idea to search in his Pass Labs forum for specific wiring details like that.
Old 15th January 2015, 01:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, I will see what I can find, by the looks of the connector and the fact that three of the wires go to relays and one goes to common the batteries much be charged individually?

I saved the old connector and managed to strip the wire to a point that it wasn't oxidized. The 12Ah batteries fit in a box the same size as the amp... and it is actually managable to carry now....
Old 19th January 2015, 09:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I found nothing so far about this amp that helps me in any way... looks like this might be another guessing game that hopefully won't end in flames... I really need to stop getting ahead of myself and take better notes.
Old 20th January 2015, 12:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

N.E.W. DCA-33 amp
There are a number of posts and images of this Nirvana product in the Pass Labs forum.
Have you searched or Googled there yet? You could at least post your question in the above thread.
Old 20th January 2015, 02:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I think the official story was that it was based on the published A40 article...

I found pictures of one here:
VNAV • Xem ch? ?? - audio café P&A(spendor fl10,fl9;chartwell,tdl.nhi?u loa hay)

Looks like 4 batteries the 2 in the top of the photo appear to be series connected.
(with very small looking gauge wires and an automotive looking inline fuse...)

Can you measure the "charging" output from the amplifier to verify?
I assume it charges when turned off. Careful that you don't short any pins anything.
Wear safety glasses, especially with something this old.

The A40 had +32 and -32 rails making 40W

If this use +/- 24V Rails that would be in the 30W area I guess.
Old 21st January 2015, 10:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, the pictures in the other thread are exactly what I am looking for... I had a feeling it was running 24 volt rails I just had no idea how it was wired... and yes as you can see it is done at a rather low budget level... in a sealed box made out of MDF board.

I searched Google for long enough and could not find any pictures of the battery enclosure and hardly any other information about the amp itself.

Here are the new smaller batteries in the box I made...

Click the image to open in full size.

And these are the connectors I'm going to use to replace the old ones...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd January 2015, 09:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I got the batteries hooked up but I cannot get them to charge... the amp will go into operate mode when turned on and I there is 24.7 volts per stack standing and 24.3 loaded it seems but shouldn't this be higher if they are "fully" charged?

This is what the batteries have to start with even after sitting in a basement for a couple of years but they have never gone through a charge cycled yet as far as I know so shouldn't they be fully charged before being drained?

I know lead acid batteries don't have memory problems I just don't know if I should run them down just to find out the charge circuit is dead... which it did have some bad solder joints around the 3 big diodes which may have caused bad charging of the previous batteries...

Some one please tell me this is normal operation? The charging board is the worst possible thing to get access to.
Old 23rd January 2015, 02:29 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Never mind I fixed it... I had the connector that goes to the relay that turns the charging circuit on when you turn the amp off on the normally open contact instead of the normally closed contact.

It is now charging! XD

Hide this!Advertise here!