????????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
What the heck is this thing? Is it for sale? Has anyone ever seen one and what does it do.........

Attachments

• whatisit.jpg
    whatisit.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 463
diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
This is getting difficult........

"Where did you find it? What is it claimed to do?"

You guys don't seem to understand......... I am the one asking questions. People asking me other questions is not helping. We have a saying....... Do you always answer a question with another question? I believe the correct response to that is "I don't know, do I?"

Re: This is getting difficult........

Fred Dieckmann said:
"Where did you find it? What is it claimed to do?"

You guys don't seem to understand......... I am the one asking questions. People asking me other questions is not helping. We have a saying....... Do you always answer a question with another question? I believe the correct response to that is "I don't know, do I?"

You asked what it was, but presumably you know where you found
the picture of it. Allright, if that info didn't help you, maybe it won't
help anybode else to asnwer the question either, but you can't
know that.

originally posted by Fred Dieckmann
What the heck is this thing? Is it for sale? Has anyone ever seen one and what does it do.........

The "daughter"-PCB is a single ended class-A preamp module from UB-Elektronik:

http://www.ub-audio.de/produkte/pre.htm

The lower board is called the "Mini-pre". It`s a preamp module that can be either stuffed with different IC OP-Amps or extended with the discrete "UB-Audio-Modul" as shown in your picture .

I don`t know why the datasheet (complete construction manual with schematic, parts list, PCB layout etc.) don`t show up currently but when You`re interested I could send it (PDF 787kb) to You as I have downloaded it at a former time.

Hm, the only pre I could find at the UB-Audio site didn't look like
the one in Freds picture at all, and I could find no trace of the
daughterboard.

And yes, it was called the mini-pre.

Edit: this is what the mini-pre looks like according to UB-Audio.

Hm, probably this picture is two boards, so if they have made a
redisng, maybe they are not that much different?

Attachments

• mp-640x480-0466.jpg
    mp-640x480-0466.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 338
Hm, the only pre I could find at the UB-Audio site didn't look like the one in Freds picture at all, and I could find no trace of the daughterboard.

Hm, probably this picture is two boards, so if they have made a
redisng, maybe they are not that much different?

Hi Christer,

take a closer look. Although it is not obvious at the first glance, the "motherboard" is the same as the "Mini-pre" here (linked from the site given in my previous post) :
http://www.ub-audio.de/produkte/mp.htm
Some parts are somewhat differently stuffed at this picture but it is actually the same circuit.

The daughterboard is this one (the according picture obviously seems not to show up):
http://www.ub-audio.de/produkte/m12.htm
When the "Mini-Pre" should be configurated with the "Audio-Modul" instead of OP-Amps, the "Audio-Modul" daughter-PCB takes place right above where the OP-Amp is shown at the "Mini-Pre" picture as shown in Fred`s picture.

In the UB-Elektronik manual that I have (download from the bottom of the Audio-Modul page does not work at the moment also, at least for me) there is a picture which looks exactly like the one Fred showed above.

Cocolino,
yes I realized later that it could be a slightly modified version of
the same board, which is why I added the comment. I missed that
Freds picture was one channel, and the UB one a stereo-version
from another angle, which confused me. Some components are
of different type and also some component placement seems to
differ slightly.

I suspected that link you posted was the daughterbord. I found it
too on the side, but the picutre is grey and the pdf links don't work,
so I couldn't check it.

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
just seeing who's awake.......

I ran into this by accident while looking for something else........ and yes I knew what it was, since the picture came from the website. It seems the product hasn't been released yet but is due in March I think. This design bears a basic topology resemblence to one of the DIY op amps in Mr. Pass's article. Also, the IRF mosfets it uses have been used by Mr. Pass in a published DIY project and one of the pair in the Aleph 3 I believe. I guess I was not the only one who had not seen it.............. :confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.