How to tell the positive and nagative pole?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, bought 2 supercapacitors, see the pic, don't know which side is positive (Left or right)? Please help.

Thank you very much.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 047-5-5_lit.jpg
    047-5-5_lit.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 206
Thank you very much everybody, So, I got wrong side.

This morning checked online, it is said the longer leg should be the positive, and the left side leg (with 2 stripes) on the pic is longer than the right. so totally wrong.

Now, do I need to switch +/- terminals? seems the tuner can store energy, not sure how long it is so far.

Thanks.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
.... seems the tuner can store energy, not sure how long it is so far....
Supercapacitors are used like batteries. In tuners, they maintain the charge that stores station frequency data in CMOS memory. It was necessary back in the day, to use batteries or supercaps to hold this type of memory when power was off.

The memory time can vary according to the CMOS type and circuit leakages but 3 weeks was about the maximum time you could leave a tuner unpowered before a supercap memory died. Needless to say, they aren't intended for audio.

Last edited:
Supercapacitors are used like batteries. In tuners, they maintain the charge that stores station frequency data in CMOS memory. It was necessary back in the day, to use batteries or supercaps to hold this type of memory when power was off.

The memory time can vary according to the CMOS type and circuit leakages but 3 weeks was about the maximum time you could leave a tuner unpowered before a supercap memory died. Needless to say, they aren't intended for audio.

Thank you for your explaination.

Unluckily, after I replaced the old one, the new supercapacitor doesnot work as expected. Seems there is no difference with old one, not able to hold the momery over two or three hours after turning off.

I think the issue may be in other places.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.