First DIY power amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2014, 03:22 PM   #1
doinker is offline doinker  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default First DIY power amp

Hi guys. I have been a lurker at this site for years, but the time has come to ask for your help and opinions.

I aim to build a power amp but have no idea which design or kit to start with - it seems the more i read the less sure i am.

I wanted to ask you all what your recommendation would be for a newb?

i was considering copying the Avondale NCC200 (Naim NAP250) design using Eagle, but you may have better recommendations? A kit would be preferable but not necessary.

my current system is a Naim Nait5i entry level integrated class AB amp driving Neat Elite classic SX speakers. I'm after a design that will leave this amp in the dust. I'm assuming sticking with AB is the way to go but you may think otherwise...

Thanks all,
Doinker
Old 31st December 2014, 04:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Recommend to start with a complete kit like this one, you'd need two of course for stereo.

You'd need a transformer too and some capacitors, and of course a nice chassis to house it in. Below links are just a place to start and best of luck

140 Classic Naim Clone Amp Clone DIY Kit 70W Mono | eBay

New DIY BZ4309 Full Aluminum Enclosure Power Amplifier Box Dual Heatsink Chassis | eBay

300W 220V Toroid Transformer for Amp 28V 0 28V 12V 2 6V | eBay

Screw Electrolytic Capacitor 47000?F 63V 85C E36d630hpn473mca5m 47000uF | eBay
Old 31st December 2014, 04:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I am very happy with the Akitika power amp kit. It's simple to put together and (IMHO) well-suited to newbies building their first project. The designer is an active member of diyAudio, and there are threads about the amp on this site. Google will find their sales page for you.
Old 31st December 2014, 04:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Perhaps your aspirations are a bit over-the-top for a newb project. Some of the designs you quote have been worked over with a fine tooth comb for years to get a certain "voicing" that completely eludes even seasoned DIYs and experimenters. That certain sound quality is why manufacturers charge 2 arms and legs for their commercial products when the parts would represent only a small fraction their value.

Just assembling a kit or building your own from a list of standard parts won't match or exceed anything, in my experience. There are many great designs that suit all manner of tastes but vintage hi-fi clones aren't often successful as many components are now obsolete, meaning substitutes are needed which may not be close enough for what you seek. You may also be out on your own cloning some products - check what is available as a clone module or kit first and how different the design is from what you want but be prepared to do this with your own effort - most folks are happy just to build the kits and endure the resulting sound

As you are interested in the old Naim Designs, I suggest a read of Pinkfishmedia's projects like the HackerNAP. The group buys and parts trading may not be still available but you can read the threads and the designers' website, which I found interesting. Fitted with all the wonder-brand components and gold plated bling, that design will go some way to blowing away most good NAP clones and even the originals. At least that's my
Old 31st December 2014, 04:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

US$55.80 is a bit too much for that 47,000uF 63V...

You can find the same one from a secure supplier for 18.00 and save some money...
Old 31st December 2014, 06:18 PM   #6
djoffe is offline djoffe  United States
diyAudio Member

This is a complete kit... 50 Watts per channel....everything but the solder is included...It's a great way to get into the swim of things...

Akitika GT-101 Audio Power Amplifier Kit
Old 1st January 2015, 09:14 AM   #7
doinker is offline doinker  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your input guys.

I have researched the HackerNAP and found it to be rather interesting. Details and gerbers available here:

hackernap.com

Ian, thanks for your input about "voicing". This is the real reason i was after a good solid route for DIY.

Does anyone have experience building or listening to the Hackernap?

cheers
Old 1st January 2015, 11:06 AM   #8
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

link does not work.
Did you check it after posting?
Old 1st January 2015, 11:09 AM   #9
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doinker View Post

Does anyone have experience building or listening to the Hackernap?
google found this and many others
HackerNap Comparisons - pink fish media

Hide this!Advertise here!