Converting unbalanced AF signal to balanced

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello !

Anybody have some simple schematic for converting an unbalanced (RCA) audio signal (from PC sound card) to balanced and then back from balanced to unbalaced ? I need the schematic because I have to transport the audio signal from PC sound card to amplifier which is located 30m away from it. I'm searching for an simple solution because the quality of transmited audio is not so critical (it will be used for listening the music in an car repairing garage).

Another question is, can I use UTP (4 twisted pairs of wire inside) cable for the transport of balanced signal ? The UTP cable is not shilded ! I ask this because I have this cable installed already and if it is possible I would use it .

Thanx !

You can certainly convert the unbalanced line output of a computer sound card to balanced by using a transformer.
Once the signal is properly balanced it is perfectly okay to use unshielded cable. This is done regularly in broadcast stations.
Use transformers with a 1:1 turns ratio.

If you don't want to go to the expense of high-quality audio transformers, the SSM2141 / 2142 / 2143 chips from Analog Devices (www.analog.com) are widely used in the audio industry for driving and receiving from balanced lines. Although they won't tolerate the very high common-mode that a transformer will, I think you'll find they work well in the majority of circumstances.

Chris Morriss.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.