Kenwood KA-3020 Volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone... :wave: I'm a Newbie

I have a 20+ year old Kenwood KA-3020 amplifier that is in need of a new volume control.

The shaft of the old one has sheared through and I have removed it from the board.

The number on the part is:
0651790-100K BX2 (ALPS)

I have tried searching for a similar part but so far had no success.

Can anyone help ?
Is this a bespoke part made by ALPS for Kenwood specifically for the KA-3020?

As far as I can tell the Amplifier is now useless without it :(

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have one KA-7020 and love it.
My advice would be to contact any known as Kenwood service points and seek there information.
Kenwood is no more regarding official support, but old service points could have info or old stock to offer.

ALPS by contract is bonded and not able selling you such parts.

Advanced work around is possible but only from a true expert with many years of experience.

Re Kiriakos ... pull it together re gamoto what are you talking about ???

Please allow a bit of Greek between the Greeks

There is absolutely no chance that you are going to be able to locate a part that was made by alps for kenwood a company that actually changed hands and strategic over 10 times the latest 10 -15 years .

Farther more this model exists i think before internet time so the chances that the parts are documented are very very low

I bet you that the part exists somewhere in the globe and also that some Luxman or JVC amplifier uses the exact same part but the one who has it don't know that it fits this Kenwood and a few other amplifiers

the chances that you are going to be able to locate it is low to zero

Only viable solution is to fit inside a standard 8 pin 100k blue line pot not an easy task since it will require hard wiring and possible mod to fit the knob

regards
Sakis

Joined 2011
I have a 20+ year old Kenwood KA-3020 amplifier that is in need of a new volume control. The number on the part is:
0651790-100K BX2 (ALPS)

Kenwood KA-3020 Manual - Stereo Integrated Amplifier - HiFi Engine

This is a typical 100k stereo volume control with a loudness tap. The only question is the mechanical fit.
It could be hard wired to the pcb since the two sets of terminals are on opposite sides of the control.

Radio Shack has an Alps that is very close, other than the terminal placement. The knob may even fit properly.

100K Dual-Ganged Stereo Volume Control - RadioShack.com

Last edited:
As rayma says, you should be able to make something else fit - even if it looks a little messy - the Radio Shack one looks pretty close though.

After the demise of Kenwood in the UK the spares distribution was taken over by a third party - but we never dealt with them, and I can't even remember who they were (and it's unlikely they still supply spares).

Thanks to all for the replies (including the between the lines Greek bits ) ;-)

That's some great info, I now know what I'm looking for.
The Radioshack component looks a good replacement, with a little wiring to the board and a bit of filing etc it might well fit :)

Is there a Radioshack based in the UK ? Or is Maplin my closest alternative ?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The original is almost certainly a log type (so yes, an audio taper). All that means is that the output vs rotation angle is not linear but follows a more logarithmic law. Log or lin, either will work as volume control, the only difference is the "feel" of the level of sound with rotation angle.

What is wrong with the original ? Is it crackly and noisy ? If so then it looks as though it could be possible to open it all up by bending the tabs.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You just might be lucky.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    22.7 KB · Views: 139
Hi again,

Well the pot arrived.
Just sat down this evening to figure out how to fit it.
Had a look at the schematic from the link supplied by Rayma (thanks)
Kenwood KA-3020 Manual - Stereo Integrated Amplifier - HiFi Engine

I wish I'd had a better look earlier because it states the volume pot (VR4) as 100KB ...linear :( ... I'll start looking for another one ;)

Either way I'm confused as to which terminal is which.. and where to connect them ?

I'll get some photos up later

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.