Spartacus S-1000 Build Log

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Time has come, finally, that the final design of my amp is materializing. While parts are still in development, I have pretty much settled on the mechanical build up and the power supplies that will feed the amplifier. This thread is intended as a build log and will be updated as more parts are finalized and be put together.

To start, I've had the bottom plate machined to spec, which is 4mm thick aluminum, along with the power ground plate and power rails for the output supply. Then we have auxilary components like rubber feet and stuff, the net filter and the bridge rectifier.

The amplifier output stage will be powered by two toroids of 850VA each (55-0-55, 7.5A per winding) and bufferd by a 80mF reservoir. The first picture shows all these components while the second shows the buffer capacitors in detail.

Currently, I'm still working on the PCB for the front-end supplies, which should be finished soon. After it is complete and put together, I can mount all of the supply parts to the bottom plate.

Updates are sure to follow, but it won't be every day; I'll take it easy on the build :)

For now, with pride, the parts!

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 146
Hi Magicbox,

I was hoping to see more of your Spartacus lateral mosfet amplifier, since you were referring to it in an other thread.

Regarding your PSU, if you want to go all the way; use hexfred rectifiers and two rectifiers bridges per xformer.

I also build a high performance PSU in a seperate case. When the PSU is switched off, the PSU will remain at +-6v to increase lifetime of the caps and to reduce peak currents when switching on.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/247239-high-performance-dual-mono-psu.html

Hi Bensen,

That is a very neat solution for your PSU! I certainly like the idea of this stand-by voltage for the caps. I'm affraid though I can't make too many changes to my supply set-up any more as most has been calculated for. At most I think a better performing bridge rectifier.

I specifically want to use a shared supply; one amp channel will receive its input in anti-phase (speaker connected in anti phase as well to revert back to zero phase), resulting in a symmetrical loading of the supply, which comes pretty close to being 2x mono in practice. It makes much better use of the transformers that way too.

The front-end supply however will indeed be a separated, dual mono setup and will be regulated on the amp channels in addition.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I have decided a long while ago I would not post the complete schematic any more. When the amp is done and realized and actually works as intended, this may change though. I have posted various threads in the past that may hint at key points of the schematic though, but these are far from this final design. This will be a build log, no more :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.