chassis-mounted filter or IEC plug filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking of getting one. I might also get an ordinary chassis-mounted filter as I already bought an IEC plug. I'm not sure but would a chassis-mounted filter do the same job as an IEC plug filter.

If I do use a chassis-mounted filter, is the metal casing connected to the mains ground?

Also, how do I select one based on amperage? It comes in 2A, 4A and 6A. I'm thinking of getting the 6A.

Also, I've seen in catalog where a chassis-mounted filter has an earth line choke. what is it?

Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

<a href="http://www.cor.com/catalog/PEM/gg/Default1.htm">Corcom</a>
<font color="#800080" ><i>Models with C-suffix additionally incorporate a ground choke1 to isolate the equipment chassis from external ground at RF frequencies</i></font>

Most likely a good thing to have.

Regards
James

it's only for a headphone amp. In that case, 1A maybe be enough. right? Also, are IEC plug filters and chassis-mounted filters the same? I would really like to get the chassis-mounted if possible as I already have an IEC plug.

Thanks

ps. I don't need links to manufacturers as I already have one in mind and it may not be available to Australia. I just need to decide on what type to buy. Thanks again. :)

It really depends on what kind of filter it is.
Usually as rule chassis filters are better because they have a much larger circuit with better filters. Don´t buy any asian filters, they tend to be cheap in quality. For 1 amp you could use an IEC type filter if it of a good brand.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.