I need a new pa amp to drive monitors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My monitors are Behringer Eurolive B1520 rated 250w rms each.
And I need a new amp,because the crap 2nd hand condition pa poweramp i got at the moment,got problems like loud hum on left channel constantly and left channel clips way before right channel.
So instead of getting it fixed, because i got it cheap 2nd hand its not worth the hassle,so I'd rather get a new good quality or very good quality 2nd hand amp.

So Heres my choices: Yamaha P2500S 2x 250w rms into 8 ohm or Matrix UKP1000 2x 300w rms into 8 0hm, or C Audio 3001,or Crown MT1200 [£370] 2nd hand still under 6 months guarntee from Bonza Sound Services,or Crest VS900 [£300 quid 2nd hand].

Some can someone tell me which one of these pa poweramps listed above, is the most reliable,and gives the best sound and uses the best quality parts???
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I would go for the Crown MT1200, if it is in a good condition!

It is built like a tank, very robust in both electrical and mechanical aspects. ;)
"Sound" should be no problem with a Crown amplifier, even at a load of 2 Ohms. :D

The first two amps you mentioned I don't know, the Crest VS900 is afaik an entry level amp, less rugged built, but should work also.

Your hum + clip problem: Perhaps one of the big electrolytic capacitors in the power supply for the left channel died or is simply bad-/disconnected. Shouldn't be too expensive to let it be fixed by some technician.

Best regards,

Ralf

Do not be afraid to go to rather higher power than 250W, even though this is the rating of your monitor.
Even if you do not need to use this power level, the extra headroom and clarity causes much less problems with feedback than an under rated foldback amplifier.
Also monitors will go over power if driven dead clean, but conversely an under powered amplifier that is clipping will much more easily cause speaker damage.

Crown and plenty of other amplifiers are very good, but in my experience avoid Crest like the plague.

Eric.

Hi Bull

Bear in mind PA amps are usually actively cooled, so fan noise may be an issue. Of all the amps you mention, I am only familiar with the Crown MT and the Yamaha, both of which run their fans all the time whilst on.

I am considering a similar purchase myself, looking at the Crown CE1000 (£500) and the LabGruppen iP 450 (£550). This Crown amp has proportional speed fans and the LabGruppen is passively cooled.

Let me know how you get on!

See ya,
Tim.

Dont knock Behringer too quickly. For those of us on a tight budget - Behringer pack some powerful gear for the prices we can just stretch to.

Granted they may pack up suddenly, and their PSUs used to have problems allegedly, but Ill take this chance for now.

Ive used a mdx2200 composer pro for over 3 years whilst lugging it around everywhere, hasnt failed me yet.

Take a look at the drivers used in the eurolives and the behringer actives. You may be surprised.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.